- The planetary map generation system now prefers placing tiles near the equator. The result is fewer, isolated tiles near the poles. Change does not affect the total number of tiles placed.
- Improvements to the planetary material system that allows for greater detail and color.
- Continent shorelines blend better with the water.
I've started several games as different races to see how things looked. I haven't seen any tiles too close to the poles, and the visual improvements are noticeable.
There are two things in the update that aren't mentioned in the Change Log. They are mentioned in this post by Brad.
If you don't want to click on the link, they are:
- An Industrial Center is available to all races but Synthetic Life and those with the Zealots ability.
- All races start with a shipyard.
The shipyard change also applies to the pirates that exist at the start of the game. Before this update there were always 1 or 2 pirate ships somewhere in the galaxy. They weren't together if there were two. I checked several immense galaxies with pirates set to abundant and always found 2 next to each other and next to a shipyard. The pirates were not very close to the starting location for any of the races, but some location in the galaxy will have an early pirate problem.