Anyone feel like listening to my opinion on ideology trees? Good! (#2 is a bit long, but it's worth it )
1. I think some bonus should still be civ wide, even the beginning levels. I think ideologies are like race trait bonuses, they sum up what people/robots are like and believe. So having something limited to a few planets feels like a missed opportunity to give a better understanding on races and ideology via bonuses.
2. I know they are called ideologies now and good and evil are gone, but something is still missing and I think I know what it is. Benevolence, Pragmatism, and Malevolence aren't just ideologies but the way people are treated.
Take President Roosevelt for example, he served 3 terms and was a "good" President that kept the country running in a time of war and strife. The ideology of America and him was focused on helping and working with his allies to win, not indiscriminately killing to get to the enemy. I think Benevolent AIs should be like that, having allies be as much as a priority as the enemy and liberating planet. Even AIs helping AIs. Some benevolent points should be given if you liberate a planet. So l hope the AI can do this.
Benevolent races can't help but help people and the AI should be badly wanting to help those who have war thrust upon them or are low on money. In return they should request things that will hurt other ideologies.
Malevolent races can't leave people alone. They must serve them, be similar to them, or not be allowed to exist. There AI should do this by causing trouble and going for victories subtly like espionage missions to lower morale while spamming influence starbases and building its fleets to invade, or not at all if the spam is effective and it can get away with it. But allways ready for the most violent path after subtlety.
Pragmatist don't like ideological conflicts because they believe people should not interfere with other peoples governments. If that government hurts them or there allies they won't like it. They also don't like crusaders of "good". There AI should always make diplomacy there primary weapon. Even with imminent invasion, because they might convince the aggressor to stop or pick on someone else.
3. I don't like minors near me. I research planetary invasion when minors are in my space, they take up good planets and they don't contribute to my empire. Having that as a ideology perk doesn't feel like a worthy bonus in my opinion. Maybe if they did something for me like give part of their research or stuff, I would feel different. Maybe.
4. Benevolence should get civ wide morale bonus because there ideology is naturally Joyfully. I thought they deserved a earlier influence bonus too, and a small diplomacy bonus because there honest*. (their politicians lie less. Lol.) Also a population growth bonus would be worth considering.
5. Benevolent 4 #4 is what many players have wanted regardless of ideology and I can't see how being benevolent makes me able to do this and not everyone. Please let #4 be a universal game feature. Please,
6. Outreach and trust should be reversed. There names seems to be better suited for each other.
7. Pragmatic bonuses seem to be quite balanced will be fun. Good job SD!
8. There should be a rush cost reduction for a ideology. One has to be better at prices and fast labor. (cough...drengin.) But IDK who really deserves it.
9. I think good old combat bonuses are missing. How a race thinks impacts the way they plan their fights. Mal's get a bonus to weapons, ben's get defense bonuses. Classic, and it makes a bit of sense. Thanks for already doing prag's SD, keep what they are going to get please.
10. Malevolent 4. #8 will become way OP on medium to large maps. Maybe it should be a bonus while at war since they live basically love it.
11. Benevolent's aren't weak in times of war, they would come closer together and be united. They should also have a morale bonus as I feel this would be a distinctive ideological trait.
12. Greed goes well beyond 5%. Totalitarians take what they need and more. It should be higher. IMO
13. All ideologies deserve a influence bonus. The deep you go into the tree the more you find out about you civ and develope a better understanding of your culture. That goes for everyone, even if your culture isn't as appealing to people.
14. Exploitation 2 shouldn't be random but civ wide. Why would a "Exploitative" race only do five random? It's not that OP if its civ wide and its part of playing the role.
1-14 are IMHO
Have a good weekend SD!