Salutations. I am having fun with the ship designer, BUT from looking at the responses of my fellow founders it seems I fit into the "casual" gamer category. I feel that hard core and casual gamer balance is good but making all gamers informed is better.
I'll start with the minor issues and then go to major issues...in no particular order.
1. I think the game needs more flat plate like pieces. Squares, circles, and different triangles for smooth looking hulls. I assume colors will be changeable in the future?
2. I needed a hexagonal cone piece for a destroyer I was making and you guys let me down. ( ) lol, some Basic shapes would do wonders.
3. When adjusting the design options button whatever tab your in from parts to defenses ends up going back to the hulls tab for some reason.
4. The scrolling with the mouse wheel is REALLY slow with very tiny incremental "clicks like a safe being cracked. Lol, one turn of the wheel should get me somewhere.
5. I want the designer to make a ship for me with parts I specify. Like the favorites tab or a box I drag them into and a ship is generated. Weapons and stuff would still be manual though.
6. For just about every part. In the animation palates scale tab the oscillate numbers are only half shown. As in the set values are to big to be shown over a hundred even though its the default setting.
7. I want to get somebody to help me get a ship to "flap" its wings up and down, if its possible.
I like the tool tips on the design details box. Seeing the totals added up is very intuitive.
8. This "coming soon" stuff is making me anxious! Can't wait to see what's next! Is there a crew settings?!?! Crews that can reduce maintenance and are better at different stuff would be fun.
9. I can't save my design in design mode, only when I click the "Equip" button. Its a minor inconvenience, but why not fix it?
10. Every ship is the intrepid!
11. There is no tool tip when scrolling over the equip categories. Like, the word modules should pop up when going over it and possibly the number of parts in that category, like 25 weapons ect.
12. I want to make a ship without choosing the hull first.
13. Thank you all!
1. When exiting chat for a bit I have noticed ALL of the text disappears and I have to restart the game. This mainly happens when I leave the game idol in the ship designer as far as I have seen.
2. I think the game does need to be not so "in your face" the first thing I thought AS A PREVIOUS PLAYER was how i didn't know what i was doing.
Let me use a analogy for this one: The ship designer should be like a grocery store. Your car has so much room (hull) and the items are valued and weigh so much (parts). So the damage cost and size should be displayed, not a tool tip. No one should have to wait to see the price of every item in stock. Brad was right, galciv2 had it good with the relevant stats displayed already.
3. The display tabs are a efficiency MESS! I know you guys are reworking and building the UI but I have to say this. If there will be as many weapons and of various types as you say, then they deserve there own tab. Imagine 5 of a weapon type and a few of others, you end up scrolling and searching. Scrolling is very bad bad for view screens. Just make each weapon have a category instead of cost and mass.
4. I don't believe throwing EVERY module into the same tab and using a hide unhide arrow is the best way or the prettiest. It seems that is the case for most categories though. I think they can be divided like the tech trees actually. Military modules, civil modules like trade and mining, and Exploitation modules like life support and sensors.
5.Stuff like mass, maintenance, and cost are essential and need to be displayed without a tool tip as its just easier...like Brad said.
6. I don't really care about putting parts anywhere as much as I want hard points on hulls and parts to matter. I used Terran model_28 alot and to my dismay it had none on one end. They need to be in logical positions all around to be useful.
7. All the subtle things Brad pointed out that galciv2 had that made it good should be in galciv3 too. To know the he put things on the left because its the side people read on is genius. Some of the best feedback comes from him.
8. PLEASE remember 2-5 as it will help with new, casual, and veteran players not ending up annoyed by the UI. IMHO.
I hope this helps you guys make a better game.