Great feedback here, Im going through everything. At a minimum I'm looking at reducing the logistics cost on large and huge hulls and increasing resources costs on some of the amplifiers.
If you are open to alternative suggestions:
The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that ...
- restricting certain modules to certain hull sizes and
- setting the number of allowed modules per ship to something other than one or infinite (in some cases)
... could solve those issues and make for a more interesting game.
- weapon amplifiers: restrict them to Large and Huge hulls, unlock with Large hulls, restrict to 3 or 4 per ship (if you allowed only one per ship like now, no-one would use them)
- Probe module: Tiny (because probes) and Cargo (because freighters) only
- Colony, Constructor: Cargo only (these are kinda supposed to be fragile ships and if the player wants to add weapons and hull points they can do so)
- Transport: Cargo, Large or Huge only (in case people want to build assault carriers or something like that)
- Cargo module: Cargo and Large only (in case people want to build galleons or something like that)
- Carrier modules: Cargo, Medium, Large and Huge only (escort carriers, light carriers, medium carriers, fleet carriers), please remove number restrictions
- Sensor modules: no restriction in number on Tiny and Small hulls (= picket ships / scouts), one per ship for all other hull sizes (right now they are one per ship for all hulls)
All that would probably require some additional coding, I don't think that restricting modules to hull types is in the game now.
I'd really like to know what other people think about it.
- Large and Huge hulls should still have their module capacity increased (or their logistics cost lowered)
- the modules that increase attack and reduce hitpoints (like Prism Cage) are fine, since they do not stack