Galactic Civilizations Fans - Introduce Yourself!

By on January 27, 2014 4:51:54 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+766

We've had several of these threads around the forums for games in general, but I thought it would be a good time to start one specifically for Gal Civ.  We have lots of players from way back and players who are venturing into Galactic Civilizations for the first time with GC3.

Lets take a moment and introduce yourselves and maybe a quick bit about your history with Galactic Civilizations if you are a previous player.

My first experience with GalCiv was with GC2 actually.  I received it as a gift from a friend, fired it up in the evening and didn't end up going to bed until well early the next morning.  It's in my personal top 10 games of all time list, and I'm just as excited for Gal Civ 3 as everyone else.

Your turn!

Locked Post 81 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 27, 2014 5:22:37 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I got GalCiv 2 on sale after playing Sins for a while, and got hooked. I was never super good at it,  but the ship designer and empire building kept me coming back. Eagerly awaiting more of that!

Also excited for MP, since Im always looking for good coop games to play with my best friend. He lived in the US so we don't see each other that often in person, but we do a lot of gaming. 

January 27, 2014 5:40:56 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hi. I started with GalCiv when the first OS2 version came out in the early 1990s. I have since participated in the beta for GC2 for OS2 and all of the alphas and betas for all of the Windows versions since, although I did not participate in the alphas or betas for any of the expansions. Before the first Windows version, we didn't have a forum system that was robust enough to keep track of our "join date", so mine is not truly representative of when I got started with GalCiv.

My favorite games? Oldies I guess. They are what I go back to when the complexity of new ones begins to get to me. And space games.

And I have found that I am:

1) a control freak -- the more control I have over the game, the more I like it.

2) definitely a Turn Based Strategy single player game type. I found that I have difficulties keeping up with real time games, and I am a bit leery of multiplayer modes. I guess I just don't like loosing.

3) I find shoot'em'ups too shallow.

4) I find games with stories that make them follow a very structured path to be boring after a few plays.

January 27, 2014 6:01:39 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The ominous cover of Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords caught my eye when I was wandering the games isle in Target several years ago. (The case in question is the CD-sized square one with two Dread Lord ships approaching from the far side of the planet.) For $10 I bought it on a whim, and it's been my favorite game since. I upgraded to GC2:TotA through Steam late 2012. For me, Galactic Civilizations is the greatest 4X turn-based strategy game ever made. I wonder what the future holds.

Since no one is obligated to keep reading... I still remember my first game of GC2. It took place on the smallest map, easiest difficulty, as the Terran Alliance. Seeing as I wasn't much of a gamer at the time, it took me a while to figure out how to move the ships. Once I got the hang of that, I decided two things: my flagship and scout ship were effectively useless space cans, and a militaristic strategy was the one to pursue. I successfully researched the lowest tier beam weapon and built a Defender. Completely oblivious to anything beyond my ship's sensors (e.g. the current political situation), I decided to treat all civilizations the same: as mortal enemies. Wars were started as fast as my defender could attack the nearest ship. I successfully obliterated scout ships, colony ships, flagships - I didn't discriminate, an alien's an alien. The last thing I saw was a transport plow straight into my homeworld. DEFEAT!

January 27, 2014 6:09:08 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

My first experience was with GalCiv 2, or rather, an ad for it, which I read in a local (i.e. German) gaming magazine. I like space 4X games a lot, so I got curious. After hearing a lot of praise for the first game, I gave the demo a try, and, shortly after, bought the game.

It hasn't left my harddrive since then, and I rate GalCiv 2 higher than MoO 2 now. Mainly because it has a much better backstory, and the individual races have a personality to them. Plus, the AI actually knows what it is doing.

All in all, I'm the lore-fanatic in the community. In my opinion, you can never add too much of the lore to the game. I also wrote a mod for TotA, in order to fix the remaining bugs (as far as I can), and address some of the balancing- and lore-issues.

January 27, 2014 7:24:34 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'm a tad ashamed to say I was an avid OS/2 fan but never played GalCiv1 on OS/2 (I'm pretty sure that's punishable by death) I also bet on BeOS and NeXT and other disastrous OS choices over the years. A glutton for punishment I suppose. I also had a Gravis Ultrasound back in the OS2 days too (I'm noticing a terrible pattern here...........)

January 27, 2014 8:03:26 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

hi im andros

personally im more of a turn based rpg gamer myself (cant stand realtime as it feels like button mashing)

the first stratagy game i played was one of the earlier CIV games (the one with the upgradable throne room) i played it a a cousins house

i picked up GalCiv 2 gold edition a while back and fell in love when i heard TOTA was coming out i bought that as soon as i could (even paying extra for the cd)

and then i put up the money for the founders elite package as soon as i could.

this game has been one of the games i have always come back to

January 27, 2014 11:42:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hi I'm Michael Whittaker from Tucson always looking for Facebook friends, so if you could friend me I would appreciate it. My first strategy game was warriors of Rome. When I got my third computer in 2002 I bought two games call to power and 1603. I liked call to power better because it was more flexible being the entire history and tech research. I replaced it with civilization 2 play the world with my fourth computer. With my seventh computer I bought Civilization 4 and Galactic civilizations the gold edition. That was when I discovered that they started requiring serial numbers which I threw away who need junk imagine my disappointment when it didn't work. Later when I decided to buy a new one with a serial number I bought Galactic civilizations Dark avatar which was to easy of a Ai. I did find that the Dread lords expansion was at least more challenging, so later I bought the Dread lords game because it was more challenging. 2006 was when I first bought Galactic civilizations 1. I couldn't register until 2009. I bought sins of a solar empire in 2008. I was looking for a game similar to Galactic civilizations which the game was fine until I found the ultimate edition in 1009. I only found Galactic civilizations because they were at Walmart. I usually don't have the internet to find my games. I've been scanning the shelves for tech research stategy games for a long time and only this year started finding them because no one will put them on the shelves loosing money because some people cant find them.

January 28, 2014 2:40:07 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Even though I'm soon 37 years old I didn't play GalCiv before the second edition; GalCiv2. I had been a great fan of the Civilization-games and some Fantasy 4X-games, but had never played those Space 4X's before. GalCiv2 was just so awesome it blew me away. I couldn't stop playing, and the expansion packs made it even more amazing.

For me GalCiv2 isn't just the best Space Strategy out there, it's also among the very best 4X games ever made. It's in the same class as the Civilization-series. In fact, if I should name 3 game series I couldn't do without I'd say GalCiv, together with Civilization and Europa Universalis. 

January 28, 2014 3:00:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Played original Gal civ and still own the box for it and have purchased all others since great game!

January 28, 2014 3:04:30 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Ive been playing since GalCiv and during GalCiv 2 I actually made a graphic novel of one of my games and had it on the Stardock site for awhile.  I also had modded in Star Trek ships so that was alot of fun to make.  Eventually in GC 2 I had the Fed, Romulans, Klingons, Gorn, and more modded in along with new weapon sounds and other stuff.  Was alot of fun learning XML and seeing how it easy it was to add stuff and GC2 was really where I learned to do that at!!  Super psyched for GC 3 and how great it will be to going back and kicking some Cat butt and then seeing the star named after my baby girl!!

January 28, 2014 5:16:13 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hello, everyone.

As you can easily guess from my avatar, I'm medium tank T-34 from First Polish Army, personal name "Rudy", tactical name "102" (serial number and date of manufacture are classified), crew of five: Olgierd, Gustlik, GrzeĊ›, Janek, Tomek and, of course, Szarik. Frontal armour... oh, well, you probably already know that anyway.

My story with GC is somewhat funny. I'm not an avid reader of game magazines, not because I think they're selling their reviews, though in some cases I can't explain certain reviews indeed, but for other reasons, namely: local retail was extremely retarded (one of reasons why I don't like it and prefer digital distribution, as long as there are no rectal regional/language restrictions) and sold very strange games I never understood in first place (like TV franchise-based ones), or games my PC couldn't handle. To add some flavour to local market situation, magazines themselves weren't available that frequently. Moreover, for many years (basically up to a date of my registration here, hehe ) I used dialup, so browsing the web wasn't solution either, much less downloading something. I couldn't even share games with friends, because we had rather opposite views on gaming (even in hockey I was a goalie and they were field players, mostly forwards:)). Among them I was considered "nerd" who could enjoy such "nerdy" games as Operation Flashpoint or Hearts of Iron. Simply put, I had zero chances to be personally acquainted with series.

Later, when I got chance to order things from Amazon (because local online stores were selling localized versions of games, and, to put it mildly, I openly hate them; don't get me wrong, I like my native languages, but I hate the way games were localized), I was kinda reserved on purchasing games I haven't heard of, given the huge list of games I've heard of but haven't played due reasons listed above. Anyway, I bought GC1 because it was cheap, and because unlike some Canadians, I don't think that jumping on third game is wise (though it was second at time).

I can't say first meeting was love at first sight, it wasn't. First thing I noticed was a palette. I don't want to offend designer, but I think blue on blue isn't optimal choice (unfortunately, Iveco designers do not understand that). I've been recently trying to replay GC1 to be reacquainted with storyline and I still have problems with that. It's like your eyewear got fogged up, and you caught some soapy water in your eyes. Another problems were related to interface, required too much micro in certain situations, game's habit to automatically end turn as soon as last ship completed its order, and jumping view focus on ships. I admit, those were minor problems, but if I still remember them, I don't like them that much. Regardless, those issues, accompanied by hasteless, measured pace of game (it's not a complain, I like it, after all, I'm not those crazy forwards, I'm goalie ) made walkthrough rather lengthy.

Acquaintance with GC2 was delayed as well, mostly because of all other games released back in time, and my wish to close the gap with games I missed during the years in series that caught my attention also. I think I remembered about GC2 when SoaSE was released. Game has lost practically all areas I disliked in GC1, and kept those things I like, including the pace. Yet that very pace made process of studying game very slow, and usual trial-and-error approach, suitable for other games, worked badly here. Well, it worked fine, all my trials were errors, if you know what I mean , but I can't say I learned game to a degree it deserves, even now.

SoaSE was the game that looked very attractive to me, but back then, my PC couldn't handle it, even on minimum, so I was playing older games instead - it's kinda hard to play game like that while visiting friend, when it took several hours just to complete blitz party.

Anyway, in 2012 I purchased Stardock Pack in Steam, played all games present for a bit, understood I liked most of them, minus Demigod, and wished they also sold time to play them, because it was clear I wouldn't be able to study games to a degree they deserve. As much as I like them, I understand the time I have on daily basis usually enough only to remember what I was planning to do, make a couple moves and quit. I'm exaggerating a bit, but you got the idea.

Of course, I completed GC2, because I like the story and, unlike SoaSE, there was a story, but my regular playing is rather sporadic, even with recent ammo costs increase, making it more difficult to shoot regularly, and some problems with fishing/hunting seasons windows.

Well, that's my story. I hoped you liked to read it as much as I liked remembering it.

January 28, 2014 10:23:17 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'm 50 years old, I work as a professional software developer, and I typically like strategy games, but I also suck at them horribly.  I tend to play games for relaxation purposes, but if I have to do a whole lot of extraneous reading and learning from external sources instead of in the game itself, I tend to lose interest.  I love the concept of GalCiv 2, but truth be told, I've never been able to finish a game.  I'm here to see if GC3 will be more accessible and easier to make sense of.

January 28, 2014 1:09:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I was a wee babe who got the 90's era Galactic Civilizations 2 as a gift for Christmas, well, my father did, but whatever. I started it up excitedly and man, did it disappoint. Played it maybe twice before uninstalling it and playing Secret Agent Barbie again (Not joking, that was a damn fun game). It burned holes into my eyes from how bad it was.

Years later, I'm strolling down the aisle at Wal-Mart looking to buy Star Wars: Empire at War and the clerk tells me they're all sold out, bastards. So I perused the remaining games and the cover of Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords, popped out at me for no particular reason. I picked up the case, opened up the front flip-panel (which had velcro on it!11!!) and said "This should hold me over until Empire at War comes back into stock." 

Seven years later, I have over 5000 hours on the game and its expansions. It is one of my most beloved games, and I play it to this day. I never did get around to getting Empire at War though.

January 28, 2014 8:43:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I am DARCA. I am a writer. I joined the community recently in January, but could have about two years ago. When I was researching a characters name I created whose last name is "Drath" no people showed up. Not to long ago I searched the word again and the galciv wiki showed up. I clicked on the link and didn't really know what I was read at first. Later I realized it was my dream game and ordered the ultimate edition. reading everything on the internet there was while waiting for it to come from Amazon.

and I enjoy reading the analects of Confucius. And don't believe in luck although I have no problems using it in a sentence.

January 28, 2014 11:03:20 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

G'day all, I'm Fate. I'm a 22 year old male pilot from Australia and I've loved Gal Civ since I first found the demo to GC2:DL on a gaming magazine when I was in early high school. I played the absolute crap out of that demo while I hunted around my local shops for a copy until I discovered that the full release was available online from Stardock so I downloaded the old pre-impulse client and continued to play the demo for a few more days until the download had completed! Australian internet is/was terrible.

Fast forward to DA and I'd already logged over 2000 hours playing vanilla GC2 and probably half that again on the forums, particularly enjoying the incredible After Action Reports some users created and the year long "Show of your ship designs 20xx" threads where we would ignore the actual game mechanics of a ship and just focus purely on the aesthetics of it, even going so far as to create our own, better looking weapons out of ship components and fancy looking engines by overlapping multiple parts together and having whole factions with their own lore and rivalries between them!

For me the game is amazing, it rates as my number one game of all time, but it's the community that kept bringing me back!

Mother Arcea forever, long live Lord Vega! (You're on notice Frogboy, bring them back! )

Fate, 

January 28, 2014 11:04:54 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting jmccrea,

I actually made a graphic novel of one of my games and had it on the Stardock site for awhile.

Any chance that there's a copy of that still floating around somewhere mate? That sounds pretty damn cool!

January 28, 2014 11:33:53 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Arcia I'm already missing the Drath and the Torians. I hope the new factions will be equivalent to these. I hope there will be more than twelve this time, and that we can have more than 10 major factions on the map this time.

January 29, 2014 4:00:09 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ParagonRenegade,
I never did get around to getting Empire at War though.

Since I own it, I can safely say you lost little, if anything.

January 29, 2014 10:21:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Played both Galciv #1 & #2, and greatly enjoyed them both. I'm really looking forward to GCIII.

January 30, 2014 3:18:51 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Fate,
Any chance that there's a copy of that still floating around somewhere mate? That sounds pretty damn cool!

Not sure...its been many year since then and I dont even have a copy of it.  I might check GC 2 website and see.  I made it using a Comic Books program and a cool screen saver program, neither name can I remember haha.

January 30, 2014 3:34:28 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

LOL actually found something:

http://forums.stardock.com/125748/page/3/#2949366

Found the first part of it, I think there were 3 parts total, but that is the only one that is showing up.  LOL couldnt believe it was still out there haha.  Would like to find the other parts, but when I clicked on the link(its in on 2006/08/08 Terran Alliance Comic-A graphic novel) that will take you to the first part.  Hard to believe thats been 8 years...wow.

January 30, 2014 1:58:08 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This avid gamer from Germany is in his mid thirties.

I still have fond memories about discovering GC II while randomly browsing the shelves in a local media store. Despite being a fan of turn based strategy and all things sci-fi in general I have to admit that I had not heard of that game before. I saw it, I wanted it, I bought it and I am still holding it here in my hand, the german "limitierte Auflage". Probably there was only one anyways

A loyal follower to stardock I am as happy as a child before xmas ever since word about GC III got out.

January 30, 2014 3:48:36 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

My first Stardock game was a precursor to GC for OS/2 (or maybe a cut down version), that was shipped as part of the OS/2 Game Pack.  I can't remember what it was called (might have been Star Trader), but it had a lot of the parts of what was in GC for OS/2.  I later purchased and played all of the GC series (and the expansions) for both OS/2 and Windows, and have participated in betas for several of the releases.

January 30, 2014 3:51:37 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

My love of this sort of thing started with Alpha Centuri, which led me to Galactic Civilizations 2. I've been playing that game for years, and got into Elemental War of Magic and Fallen Enchantress. While I watched those games develop, I always felt that GC2 was a superior game. (Alpha Centuri is probablly equal to GC2, just much older).

I cannot wait for GC3!!!!!!!!!!

January 30, 2014 6:35:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I have been playing Civ since Civ 2.  It was my sole video game addiction other than Myst. For years.

When Civ 5 game out it was pretty poorly off and broke my computer badly.  Looking around for alternatives, I found GalCiv 2.  I have gotten a couple of family members hooked on it as well.  Now that Civ 5 is a lot better (my subjective opinion) I play some, but GalCiv is still easier on my PC and, in many ways, more fun.

I play on middle level difficulties and have no strategy or advice I would dare offer. I figure I fit the more casual user category as far as this forum is concerned.  it's just that I play a lot.  I play marathon sessions with largest galaxies all times of day or night, partly because I love it and partly when health/insomnia issues cause me troubles.  Plotting the domination of the galaxy is a fairly therapeutic distraction from certain discomforts.

I also like to role play benevolent dictator keeping my people happy and productive and deadly.   So, there's that, too.

As for GalCiv 3, I seem to be of a different mind from a lot of folk who each want to change this or that part.  I like GalCiv 2 and its mechanisms.  I am more into GalCiv 2.5 than a true GalCiv 3.  I want to keep as much as possible.  I have decided to wait and see what happens because I have little other choice.  I am pretending to be patient.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time: