Galactic Civilizations Fans - Introduce Yourself!

By on January 27, 2014 4:51:54 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

We've had several of these threads around the forums for games in general, but I thought it would be a good time to start one specifically for Gal Civ.  We have lots of players from way back and players who are venturing into Galactic Civilizations for the first time with GC3.

Lets take a moment and introduce yourselves and maybe a quick bit about your history with Galactic Civilizations if you are a previous player.

My first experience with GalCiv was with GC2 actually.  I received it as a gift from a friend, fired it up in the evening and didn't end up going to bed until well early the next morning.  It's in my personal top 10 games of all time list, and I'm just as excited for Gal Civ 3 as everyone else.

Your turn!

Locked Post 81 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 31, 2014 1:00:14 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting yorkie43,

[quote who="Cayyman" reply="22" id="3437602"]

I recomend checking this out to get a avatar for your picture. http://forums.galciv3.com/450709

Quoting erischild,

I have been playing Civ since Civ 2.  It was my sole video game addiction other than Myst. For years.

When Civ 5 game out it was pretty poorly off and broke my computer badly. 

This happened to me several times with the Dark avatar I think it was because I played advanced algorithms on a single core processor with hyper threading.

Quoting erischild,

Looking around for alternatives, I found GalCiv 2.  I have gotten a couple of family members hooked on it as well.  Now that Civ 5 is a lot better (my subjective opinion) I play some, but GalCiv is still easier on my PC and, in many ways, more fun.

I feel you my first game was Call to power 1 then it was an expansion to Civilization 3 play the world, and then it was the conquest expansion. Then I was looking for a game when I thought my Celeron D was a pentium 3 equavelent, so I thought I couldn't play Civilization 4. I found Galact civilization 1 the gold edition. Only to throw away the serial number because I can't imagine any reason why a game would want that. Only to find out that was important. What a waste of a good game. Later when I was going to buy the same thing for a replacement I found Galactic civilizations 2 the Dark avatar expansion, and bought that instead. Later I found out that Celeron D was equivalent to Pentium 4, so I bought Civilization 4 then the ultimate edition.

Quoting erischild,

I also like to role play benevolent dictator keeping my people happy and productive and deadly. 

I would actually recommend a federation unless your the Yor who can't be federation because it gives you an economic advantage. This does means that you have to keep your approval high at a certain day of the year when elections come around. 

Quoting erischild,

As for GalCiv 3, I seem to be of a different mind from a lot of folk who each want to change this or that part.  I like GalCiv 2 and its mechanisms.  I am more into GalCiv 2.5 than a true GalCiv 3.  I want to keep as much as possible.  I have decided to wait and see what happens because I have little other choice.  I am pretending to be patient.

For the most part this game is really great. The idea is to enhance what is already there not to change the game. I hope the minority are the ones who want to change this game into what it is not. I hope your idea is in the majority not the minority. I think that if they keep this  game to what it is which is Galactic civilizations they will do great.

January 31, 2014 9:49:02 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I bought GalCiv2 in 2006 after when I was looking for a new strategy game. I knew about GalCiv2 before that, but when I was at Target I looked at the box and dismissed it as a cheap MOO2 knockoff from the box. Eventually I bought the game for lack of anything else to play and because I had heard the AI was pretty good. I loved it. Kinda wished I started playing sooner. Well it was a love hate relationship early though. 

Initially I loved the mechanics, hated the research tree, loved the space battles, and hated that awful god damn explosion sound that sounded like nails on a wet chalk board when the ships explode, that sound is still in the game btw. But it kept me hooked and for few months I did not sleep very well because of it. 

The expansions fixed many of my grips with the game. It's actually sad when people say they didnt like the game but never played any of the expansions. They are so much better. GC2 is one now one of my top strategy games. I no longer play it since civ5 came out, after they got their act together,  but GC3 will probably shelf civ for a long time. 

January 31, 2014 5:52:09 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hello, I am a 23 year old student.

In february 2006 I read review of Dread Lords in gaming magazine. I wasn't a fan of 4X games but I had become interested.

So I simply bought the game and became a fan after the first month of playing.

I enjoyed thoughtful gameplay with interesting political relationships, economic system and the great spaceship design editor.

And of course I had bought each add-on as it came out.

For now I await any new details (screenshots, gameplay information, etc.) about GC3. I hope there will be beta testing in the summer.

January 31, 2014 11:56:56 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting DreadDendy,

Please visit this post on how to load an avatar and comment when you are done. http://forums.galciv3.com/450987

February 1, 2014 7:15:25 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting admiralWillyWilber,

Quoting DreadDendy, reply 28

Please visit this post on how to load an avatar and comment when you are done. http://forums.galciv3.com/450987

There is no need to keep repeating this every time someone comments without having uploaded something. It's not a requirement.

February 2, 2014 2:01:44 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The Admiral likes having a face to the name, faceless character strings are so impersonal!

February 2, 2014 2:15:38 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

So says the faceless Master Chief. lol.

February 2, 2014 2:16:26 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Ok I'll stop I never felt it was a requirement it just took me years before I cared to spend the time to figure it out. I was just trying to help people out.

Faceless joke kind of funny.

February 2, 2014 2:21:53 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

When a error is made with good intentions. It is a good deed.

February 2, 2014 2:34:59 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Thanks!!!

February 2, 2014 3:01:19 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hahahaha that faceless joke was pretty good, cheers!

February 2, 2014 10:25:48 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I have a face of a pirate monkey...

February 3, 2014 12:48:24 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Oh no why do those eyes keep staring at me? Please make them stop!!! Who designed these things anyways?

February 3, 2014 9:38:07 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I am Scott, and was first introduced by accident to the series while browsing gamestop looking for a space strategy game. I came across the GC2 Ultimate edition, bought it and loved it. I did not love the campaign, but ship designer and just conquering a galaxy in a game that i could play for  a bit, walk away and do things, come back to. This much like Civ games are what I like since its great, and casual. When Stardock emailed me about this, I happily gave them my hundred bucks and now wait to be able to sample this product. 

My first gaming system was the NES in 1991.

February 3, 2014 11:59:02 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Fischer skis fan?

February 3, 2014 8:59:04 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

One More Turn, i suffered that affliction first with Colonization in floppy disks... then as time moved i found a gem called Alpha Centuri, and i feel even more inlove as time progressed the 4x genre needed a good representative in space, and came GalCiv2, i played that game in my head and even did a sort of "parallel" story like with races of my own, i had games last for months on end, some i won... some i lost, i mostly play a very science based expander, lots of research, plenty of ships protecting my borders that sometimes gobble up other planets. I still play it to this day, and when iam really into it i spend a chunk of the time iam not playing it, thinking about my next move against that insanely expansionist AI.

Personal info

Name: António Sucena

February 4, 2014 5:33:41 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting gix_0,

And your country has unique port in Cossacks game!

February 11, 2014 2:22:48 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Introduction:  I'm just past 60, retired.  Had two careers.  First, Ordained Methodist (protestant/christian) clergy, and second, Licensed Nursing Home Administrator.  I've always loved strategy games because they keep my rapidly running mind busy - distracting me from all the things I can't fix (make fairer) in the world.  Played the original Chainmail, the paper and pencil game that inspired the original Dungeons and Dragons.  Now I'm old, I guess.  Had to keep my PC gaming private as most of my parishioners frowned on such 'frivolous' activities.  (Being a football nut, and going to the super bowl was fine for them, but my gaming, well, that's 'frivolous,' LOL.)  Loved playing computer assisted games when they were invented (c80s?).  Loved MOO, Sword of the Stars, and, remember this one?  Reach for the Stars.  I saw GalCiv in a retail store - liked the description, and grabbed it.    Been playing ever sense.  Gave the disks away - missed it - and ordered GalCiv again, this time from SD.  Bonus was to discover that SD have added two expansions.  Awesome.  And so it begins...

February 11, 2014 6:21:43 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hey there! 

I'm a fan for a very long time of galciv, playing from the first one, and the second actually set a new standard for the genre in my humble opinion. I don't even read a word on the website before picking up a founder elite, I'm confident that you guys will made a tremendous job on this! I'm counting on you!

February 18, 2014 5:39:06 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

First time with the franchise, but I did my homework and I am looking forward for its release! I have extensive experience with strategy games and occasionally play MOO2 (Master of Orion II) still! I've played all Civilization games, MOO1, MOO2, sadly MOO3, Star Ruler, and many more real time and 4x strategy. See ya in game!

February 19, 2014 2:55:28 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Welcome then!

February 19, 2014 10:41:41 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I played since Galactic Civilizations OS/2

Played Galactic Civilizations and Galactic Civilizations II of course. (played it for years)

The OS/2 game was about exploring, it had humour in the great random events.

It was not so much about "War" 

I miss the OS/2 game.... hoping Galactic Civilizations III will live up to the original great game.

February 19, 2014 11:37:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks and welcome to everyone who have introduced themselves so far!  I know we have lots more people out there, lets get to know each other.

February 21, 2014 12:33:18 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hi there.  I kinda hope you haven't forgotten all about me, but I've been out of action for a while.

Like many, I played Master of Orion II for hours in my youth.  I found that MOO3 wasn't really my cup of tea, although I did make a sound mod for it, eliminiating some of the clunky noises.

I loved GalCiv 1 and still fire it up every now and then, but GalCiv 2 outdid that and then some, in my opinion.

Yes, I'm the guy behind the Space Weapons Fix Mod for GalCiv 2.  I'm not working on it these days, although I might return to fiddle with it at some point.  At the moment I'm taking a break and playing Minecraft and the original Dungeon Keeper (which is awesome, by the way) and I'm writing some sci-fi stories when I can.  In some ways, GalCiv 2 has pushed me to think more about the challenges that await spacefaring societies.

I might stream some GC3 to Twitch when I get my hands on it, but I'm not sure what the chances of that are, because I tried to stream Legendary Heroes and the video stuck on particular frames during tactical combat.  It may be that my computer just doesn't have the oomph to play a game like that and stream a decent picture. :/  But hey, it would be nice to give it a try, and if there was integrated Twitch (like Minecraft) that would be even more of an incentive.

February 21, 2014 1:24:16 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Glad to have you back then MarvinKosh. I'm a newb to the series, but I look forward to seeing GalCivIII in all of its glory (after alpha and beta of course). I'm much more confident that if MOOII fans (and MOOII fans that didn't like the poorly made MOOIII) liked GalCivII then I'm sure I've finally found the right path to a 4x sci-fi based civ based strategy game. I'm temped to check out GalCivII, but I'm busy with other things and makings sure I'll have time to alpha in late March. Until then!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001640   Page Render Time: