Starting with the early Crusade Bug Fix Mods, I created my own mod (modeling) of the GC3 Crusade Expansion XML data files to fix bugs and to model the game to my own preferences. Since that time this effort has taken a life of its own with major and subtle changes have made their way into my efforts. With the 2.13 and now Opt-in 2.14 Patch StarDock has made significant efforts to fix some of the problems with the initial Crusade Technology Tree and behind the scene's calculations of flat and percentage bonuses. I have attempted to look at the old values for buildings and how existing technologies interconnected and functioned prior to Crusade in order to bring some order and consistency to the current state of the values in the XML files. Most of this work involved tweaking values in three XML files - MasterTechDefs.XML, ImprovementDefs.XML and StarbaseModuleDefs.XML.
Note that a lot of the changes reflect the ongoing discussion of Crusade bugs at my Forum Post below and in some cases my own preferred solution to the issues. Mainly the intent of posting this is for other modder and/or Stardock to use this work to make the game better and solve the initial problems affecting the Crusade Launch. I will continue to make changes from this initial release of my mod but if it is broken Please remove my mod and let me know what problems you have. Hopefully I fix whatever mistakes that might still be included in what I am releasing.
So use this at your own risk and hopefully some of these changes will be incorporated into the base game over time.
Semi-complete quickly summary of the changes incorporated in the mod:
1) Incorporated most of the 2.14 Opt-in changes of 5/19 - see the change notes text file in the update ZIP for more details on changes from 2.14.
2) Incorporated most Horemvore's Blueprint changes from the preliminary Crusade update to his Galactic Star Trek Mod. Also incorporated his Technology tree research cost changes.
3) Revised the Manufacturing Tech tree arrangement and rebalanced the manufacturing bonus buildings and starbase modules for all races to be consistent. In keeping with the Crusade Philosophy, the new manufacturing bonus buildings have percentage bonuses that are about one quarter of what they were in previous versions of the game.
4) Revised the Research Tech tree arrangement and rebalanced the research bonus buildings and starbase modules for all races to be consistent. In keeping with the Crusade Philosophy, the new research bonus buildings have percentage bonuses that are about one third of what they were in previous versions of the game.
5) Beyond changes in the 2.14 tech tree layout, I have reacted separate branches in the technology tree for the following:
A) new planetary special resource mining techs (two branches removing from manufacturing and terraforming tech trees)
B ) Farming techs were separated from planetary tile terraforming techs
C) Planetary tile terraforming techs were separated from planetary colonization terraforming techs
D) Slave Pit techs remain as a separate research branch
E) Hive buildings (planetary production bonus) have return from 2.0 as its own tech tree branch just like Slave Pits (Slavers), Molecular Fabricators (still Slavers not Paranoid for now), Social Matrix (Ancient)
F) Power Matrix Manufacturing Bonus and Population Cap increasing buildings have returned for Synthetics (copied from 2.0)
G) Spark of Life techs (Fast Assembly, High Capacity Assembly, Ultimate Assembly "Robot" Manufacturing projects) have returned from 2.0 for Synthetics as separate tech tree.
H) Morale Buildings were split off Economic Buildings (was semi done that way in 2.14)
I) 2.14 Patch already split off Trade techs, Governing Techs, Diplomacy and Cultural Influence Techs. Tourism has returned I may change this some in future update.
6) Returned Empire Unique Planetary Resistance building EleriumDefenseShield (was mistakenly called Planetary Defense building before it was deleted in 2.13).
7) Returned the three Starbase Morale Modules.
8) Re-enabled the ability to build the Central Bank (Empire Unique) for all Races. Computer Core (Empire Unique) and Space Elevator (Colony Unique), Space Port (Colony Unique) buildings for were re-enabled for Slavers. Deep Core Mines (Colony Unique) building (+1 Social Manufacturing) was removed for Slavers.
9) Slaver manufacturing bonus buildings for now only increase Food Income by +1 instead of increasing Population Cap by +1. Molecular Fabricators that had percentage food bonuses now increase food by +1 as well.
10) Several Devout (Krynn) techs were fixed (Shadow Temple and Shadow Trade) were fixed.
11) BlackMarket (+25% Gross Income) was enabled for Unrelenting races not Slavers.
12) Knowledge Ability races get Hive buildings not Time Travelers.
13) Time Travelers get Gravitronic Techs and Dimensional Phasing Techs (not Knowledgeable Races)
14) Some Racial Abilities were adjusted so that the negative bonuses were cut in half to match decreases in positive bonuses.
15) Precursor World Manufacturing bonuses were lowered as reported in bug reports previously but the bonuses do increase slightly with Precursor World Research.
16) Leveling bonuses have generally be increased by factor of 2.5X for normal manufacturing and research buildings or 5X for economy buildings.
17) Manufacturing initiate and neighboring bonuses affect MaxManufacturing now instead of Manufacturing.
There are lots of things I have not yet looked at and I had hoped to finish a review of Economic, Trade, Cultural, Diplomacy, Government buildings and stuff given to other races but with over 30 technologies removed with 2.14 patch I did get there before the weekend. So I am releasing what I have done "AS IS"s for now with more changes to follow (yes initially this post is just notes till I get a chance tonight to run the mod a few times after my last minute changes today).
Remember this Mod is essentially untested to get it out there for comments
[ Removed the download link for version 1.2 of my Mod]
Okay I found an interesting way to disappear a tech in a non-obvious way - I wondered why Interstellar Tourism wasn't displaying - did have too many branches now lol. Interesting bug in the Game Parser.
<!-- <Option>DiplomaticAbility</Option> -->