I had another GC3 freeze, which is repeatable.
I have been playing GC3 on my laptop, which has been struggling more and more trying to run GC3 since the 1.6 patch. It was a little worse with 1.7 and even worse with 1.8. I decided to spend more time playing on my desktop since it is more powerful than the laptop.
I started a new game with mods, the same ones I was using on my laptop when GC3 hung and crashed. Everything was running well and the turns were fast until the game froze on turn 118. It froze while processing Unknown Player 4. I shut in down using Task Manager, then copied the Auto-Save, Previous Auto-Save and the debug.err to a safe place.
I restarted GC3 and loaded the Auto-Save. It was on turn 116, so I played until turn 118 was complete. I saved the game before I clicked on the Turn button. It froze on Unknown Player 4 again. I used Alt-Tab to get to Task Manager and watched the RAM usage since I had a suspicion that something strange was happening with RAM usage after the hang on my laptop. My laptop has only 8 GB, and my desktop has 32 GB.
Task Manager showed memory usage was at 6,968.4 MB for GC3 for a while, then it jumped to over 10,400 MB before dropping to 9,022.5 MB. Later it jumped to over 14,300 MB before dropping to 12,412 KB. There were further jumps that I did not get exact numbers for, but one peak was around 25 GB and another was 59.4 GB. Since I only have 32 GB, there was a lot of disk activity as data from the 59.4 GB was swapped to the disk, which is an SSD. I was taking screen shots of some of the graphs in Task Manager showing what was happening. There was also a lot of CPU activity with spikes when RAM usage also spiked. After a while RAM usage dropped. I waited a little while longer, then used Task Manager to shut down GC3.
I copied the save I made and the newer debug.err to a safe place, then ran the SD Support Tool. Both debug.err files ended with similar lines:
first one: Debug Message: CBattleSystem::AddBattle ticket 4 attackerID 27876 defenderID 17345
second one: Debug Message: CBattleSystem::AddBattle ticket 4 attackerID 27849 defenderID 17345
These are basically the same as in the debug.err files from my earlier report.
I updated the ticket with this information and more files.