Sneak peak at the changelog for 0.5:
* Maintenance reductions from techs now apply to overall colony maintenance; effect divided by a factor of 5. With thanks to Lavo_2
* Reworked Approval. 100% approval now offers no bonuses. Less than 100% approval directly impacts on production, growth, resistance and influence at a 1-to-1 ratio - so 50% approval gives -50% production, growth, resistance and influence output.
* All growth bonuses from tech and improvements are now flat, aside from adjacency-granted ones.
* Tourism reworked. Tourist buildings now add a (very) small flat approval bonus to the whole empire.
* Tourism bonuses buffed; base tourism value reduced.
* Tourism buildings are now no longer 1-per-colony.
* Restaurant of Enternity now gives a very big (200%) tourism buff to just the planet it's on; now adds a 25% empire-wide approval multiplier.
* AI now makes more use of tourism buildings on Influence worlds; is slightly better at handling approval.
I'm hoping to firstly make approval more important for holding back 'tall' worlds, since presently they're getting a bit too powerful toward the endgame. Now that LEP is out of the way, I can pretty much just tailor approval to work as a single-build-queue restriction, which gives me free reign.
Secondly, I want to try and make tourism buildings actually USEFUL, and tourism tech LESS useful. Just rushing tourism for the free bonus cash should now be less effective, but a dedicated tourist world will not only produce a decent cash flow, but will also permit you to 'outsource' approval somewhat.