I have played this game a few times now and I find it kinda bland. My problems with the game is that it seems to unfold in the same way every time with not that much fun to be had.
1. I upgrade my heroes a lot, but those are not really interesting or fun upgrades.
2. My level 4 unit is totally superior and when I get to it (not that far into the game really), I can just spam them as much as I can afford. This is the same no matter what the unit is.
3. There is no sense of danger from the world around me. I love increasing the difficulty in 4X games so that the world will often kill me. Works great in LH and Warlock, not here. I have seen a few dragons about, but mostly as quests and the dont do that much if I leave them.
4. The buildings are the same in all cities and I just build everything everywhere (or put on produce merchandise to finance my level 4 units)
What I like
1. Sieges and the battles. They are fun and have some interesting decisions although there is a lack of variation mayhaps.
What the game needs for me to enjoy it
Upgrades that matter, a world that haunts me, varied cities, items that matter for my heroes, unique stuff that only shows up once in a while and change the game +++ more FUN
I will much rather play Warlock 2 Sandbox mode. Creating super units, planning my cities, choosing abilities before game start that actually matter +++