Artifact giving whole tech

By on October 21, 2015 1:52:43 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

PocusFr

Join Date 04/2003
+2

Something that is not very good, micro-management wide, is that some artifacts in space can give a complete tech. It means that optimally, before you move onto one, you have to switch to an expensive, not researched tech, step onto the artifact and see if you get it, if not you revert to previous research.

So I would suggest instead that such artifacts gives a fixed amount of research points, based only on the turn number (because if a % of your research points, you are back to tweaking your base before moving to an artifact).

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 21, 2015 9:37:44 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Stardock did not create this micromanagement.  You did.  You do not "have to" do anything.  You choose to.  If you find it important enough to game the outcome of an artifact, go ahead and do so.  But own your decisions; don't blame them on others.  Also, do not blame Stardock for letting you restart games to get an optimum map, since I assume you do that as well, unless you use the map editor and get rid of that pesky non-optimum randomness in the first place.

October 21, 2015 11:20:21 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Good point Er,.  , think about what your asking for,  points based on turn ; at what multiplier?  At 1x you have made artifacts very low value form beginning to end game (e.g 200 points by turn 200 is nothing).  If the multiplier is raised your right back in the same boat again.  Now if you were to suggest, its just way too powerful (e.g. getting a free 15 turn tech in turn 1) so artifacts should be nerfed;  i would likely agree with you.  So if you think its too powerful, don't do your "micro",  if you like taking advantage of it than do it, its the price you pay for taking advantage on a game feature.

October 21, 2015 11:26:14 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I love heading to an artifact and upon right next to it and switching to say disrupters or HUGE hulls if i can get it..and BAM insta 56 turn tech now mine!

LOVE IT>.....dont change a thing..Exploit...<<< this is what we do!

October 21, 2015 11:37:23 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Larsenex,

You evil evil man     

October 21, 2015 1:26:48 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

i was gonna say you could make the artifacts random on load but that would just mean people would reload untill they got the free tech

October 21, 2015 2:44:19 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Actually I play Ironman most of my games, Gal Civ 3 included. 

I admit I'm a sinner. I'm given a toy granting a free tech. It's difficult to not switch from a tech I'll finish within a few turns to a tech that would needs 30+ to complete. People who were never tempted to switch to another tech before moving onto an artifact are probably less frequents that you might think, erischild.

There is no blame on me or on stardock. But I would prefer to not have this kind of exploit temptation. I can probably mods the artifacts so they give a flat 500 RP. This is big but not that huge at the beginning and remains a nice value for many turns I believe.

October 21, 2015 3:00:06 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Well to be honest, you do not always get a free tech and the exploit as it is really is random. I manually direct my survey ships in most cases and I am in competition with all the other ai. 

I have equally gotten a building finished at a nearby planet as I have a free tech. If I can, I will switch to a higher cost tech that i want and hope I get the freebie. 

Its very satisfying. I did get large Hulls and huge hulls and Phasors in my current game this way. The Borg Queen was suddenly "I hate you and we are going to devour you" to I hate you but I am busy with someone eles"...love it!

October 21, 2015 3:27:28 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting PocusFr,

There is no blame on me or on stardock. But I would prefer to not have this kind of exploit temptation. I can probably mods the artifacts so they give a flat 500 RP. This is big but not that huge at the beginning and remains a nice value for many turns I believe.

I'd suggest you just set your survey ships on auto and ignore them tbh

While I see your point, I think the problem might actually be that the tech-finishing anomalies may simply be too common. I often get a dozen a game. In Civ, you'd go whole games between seeing a free tech being handed out, and even on the largest maps getting 2 in one game was a very rare event. I'd suggest lowering the change to 1% or so, so that it's a nice surprise but so rare that no-one would be tempted to keep swapping techs all the time.

October 21, 2015 9:24:35 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Larsenex,

Well, that is certainly another choice of reaction.  Gotta love it!  

October 21, 2015 10:44:30 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Well as is I think is fine. I do like free techs in call to power. My suggestion is that the free techs come from a tree you can't get anywhere else.

October 22, 2015 12:15:24 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I do find it funny that when discussing the wheel everyone was talking about "seeing as the option to micro is there, and it is so much more efficient, you can't just ignore all that micro. We are forced to do it, kill the wheel!" then Pocus mentions this micro and everyone goes "You choose to do this micro, just because you can doesn't mean you have to"

October 22, 2015 12:52:31 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Or you could choose not to use the wheel locally; instead of killing it. Why are you so adamant about something you don't have to use! That is a mistake that civilization made it kinda ruins the game now you can't control your citizens, or just as bad control your spending.

October 22, 2015 2:52:54 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting admiralWillyWilber,

Or you could choose not to use the wheel locally; instead of killing it. Why are you so adamant about something you don't have to use! That is a mistake that civilization made it kinda ruins the game now you can't control your citizens, or just as bad control your spending.

That's my point I'm one of those that loved the wheel, micro'd it every turn on every planet and haven't played Gal Civ 3 since my first game without it. This was my go to game after Civ 4 that I came to enjoy micro in. Now that I can't, I play Civ 4 when I want to micro and Endless Legend when I don't, because at least EL looks pretty.

I'm just saying, everyone whinged about the wheel when it was there because they felt they just HAD to micro because it was there. Then this argument is presented and they change tracks and say "well, you can choose to ignore it". Just amusing to me

October 22, 2015 9:37:40 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Darkscis,

I'm just saying, everyone whinged about the wheel when it was there because they felt they just HAD to micro because it was there. Then this argument is presented and they change tracks and say "well, you can choose to ignore it". Just amusing to me

You confuse the word "everyone" with the reality "the group of voices talking loudest on a given subject at the moment".  On many subjects, there are often contradicting views loudly held by differing people.  This happened long before the Internet.  On this forum, I haven't seen any one person "change tracks".   Just different people speaking at different times.  Your amusement seems based on your misperception of the concept of "everyone".  Not that the conversation is any less amusing either way, but there is no reason to mislabel the chaos.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000454   Page Render Time: