GalCiv Release Date May 14th

By on April 22, 2015 1:04:24 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

satoru1

Join Date 07/2008
+46

Bit odd there's no official news of this here.

But hunker down because GalCiv3 officially releases May 14th (at least according to their twitter account!)

https://twitter.com/Stardock/status/590919011233353729

Considering this is normally the 'summer doldrums' in terms of game releases, there's just a ton of kick ass stuff being released within the next month. It's super exciting, but also conflicting because how do I dedicate time to all these games! Noooooo!!!!!

In any case congrats to the team. It's been incredibly fun from being an Elite Founder, to the 'wonders' of Steam Early Access, to release. Certainly this is one more blueprint for 'How to do Early Access right'.

I'm sure you'll be busy with the final push. But thank you from one fan. It's been great. And I look forward to the future of GalCiv3.

Locked Post 58 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 22, 2015 2:10:52 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Are they nuts??? The game is barely half-ready!

April 22, 2015 2:43:52 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

But hunker down because GalCiv3 officially releases May 14th (at least according to their twitter account!)

Frogboy, said that date about a week and a half ago already, it's also in the all you ever needed and then some journal post.

April 22, 2015 3:00:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Bloodlust1983,

While i might argue it is more then 1/2 ready, it does still need a lot of work.  Can't see that release date unless they want a buggy one

April 22, 2015 3:00:35 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This is worrying. Judging from the state in .83, the game needs a lot more polish. So many components/features just dont feel 100%.
Hell Im even getting BSODs sometimes when trying to load the battle viewer.
I very much doubt there is enough time to fix everthing in ~3 weeks.

April 22, 2015 3:07:59 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Bloodlust1983,

Responses like this make me laugh. The game is actually ready. Some polish here and there. Its fairly feature complete. If you have a mediochre computer it will run like hell on any maps of large or larger so you will be limited by map size, however that is not the Game producers fault, they built the game knowing that  you need multi core processors, more than 6 gigs of ram and a more recent video card. 

There are bugs but what game does not? 

Furthermore I am of the opinion that it is WELL WORTH the price tag of $49.99. I have five personal friends who say the game indeed has the 'one more turn' addiction which is rare now days. 

It is already a AAA quality game and the AI and performance tweaks we get in the next month will only make the that much better. 

To say the game is 1/2 done would be misleading. 

April 22, 2015 3:23:07 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Larsenex,

Quoting Bloodlust1983,

There are bugs but what game does not? 

It is already a AAA quality game and the AI and performance tweaks we get in the next month will only make the that much better. 

To say the game is 1/2 done would be misleading. 

But the game is not 100% ready. I would remind you that highly respected studios try to work out at least 95% of the bugs BEFORE release. I could name a few titles which released 100% playable and enjoyable (Starcraft II for example). Play with the best or die like the rest no argue here!

GC3 still has things to workout and I seriously doubt 3 weeks are term enough. Lets see:

1. Lots of graphic issues.

2. Some UI elements must be reworked for they are totally usless (like diplomacy screen that at the moment displays minimal of the vital infor)

3. Gameplay stuff like popups, more obvious UI, better ship and custom race designers.

4. AI which must be tuned and tuned and tuned and tuned. We are talking the greatest 4x here not some dumb Call of Duty bots.

5. Billion of bugs still to fix and some of them are serious gamebrakers which crash the game and/or crash the fun

I sure hope these things are at their finishing stages. 

PS I might sound a bit too critic here yet I see no point in defending the bugs like some ppl here do. They wanted us to beta-test the game and give feedback? Well here it is. And believe me I am quite a kind customer.

At any rate I've made my point. If they are sure they can do stuff in just 3 weeks I'd be all happy for like everyone I wait for the release impatiently.

April 22, 2015 3:40:24 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Bloodlust1983,

But the game is not 100% ready. I would remind you that highly respected studios try to work out at least 95% of the bugs BEFORE release. I could name a few titles which released 100% playable and enjoyable (Starcraft II for example). Play with the best or die like the rest no argue here!

Firstly lets ignore things like:

AC:Unity's fiasco from hell

GTAV launch issues with Rockstar social and non ASCII usernames

The fact that Diablo3/Starcraft2 infrastructure were almost universally unplayable upon launch and collapsed under the sheer weight of everyone trying to log into battle.net at the same time.

Note that "I was able to play the game" does not mean "100% playable and enjoyable".

This is also the utopia fallacy. The game is not 100% ready (despite the fact that no game is 100% ready) thus its not fit for release.

2. Some UI elements must be reworked for they are totally usless (like diplomacy screen that at the moment displays minimal of the vital infor)

3. Gameplay stuff like popups, more obvious UI, better ship and custom race designers.

4. AI which must be tuned and tuned and tuned and tuned. We are talking the greatest 4x here not some dumb Call of Duty bots.

These are not 'bugs' and would not begin to fall under your mystical '95% before release' metric.

5. Billion of bugs still to fix and some of them are serious gamebrakers which crash the game and/or crash the fun

A 'billion' you say? Really? Really? A billion?

PS I might sound a bit too critic here yet I see no point in defending the bugs like some ppl here do. They wanted us to beta-test the game and give feedback? Well here it is. And believe me I am quite a kind customer.

No one is 'defending bugs'. Straw man

But if you're going to make hyperbolic exaggerated claims about the state of the game, then yes you're going to get slammed for it.

April 22, 2015 3:50:36 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Yeah that is a big "If' they will be ready. 

Not that it's stopped many other game developers from releasing a game while it's still in early beta in hopes to create a big increase in sales.

5.2 - 5.3 was epic fail as far as I'm concerned and I'd gladly revert my game back if I could. 

Hopefully the next patch with fix some of the things 5.3 broke (I'm looking at you planet icons and resource colors)

Also, PLEASE revert armor back to how it was before, even if you have to significantly raise it's research costs. It made complete sense to me that armor would also protect against missiles and energy weapons, where as the other 2 would be weapon type specific. Thick armor would have some protection from the explosion of a missile warhead as well as causing a heat based or caustic energy weapon to require more energy applied to break through it. A missile interceptor would only intercept incoming missiles and an energy defense field would block an energy weapon, but let a projectile right through. It was one of the things I liked most about this game and I really wished it worked the same way for starbase armor. Then you went and "fixed" it

April 22, 2015 3:56:19 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

3 weeks seems really early to me.  There are a lot of things that haven't even been released for testing in the tech tree, they're planning on implementing collapsing specializations this late, lots of events don't work correctly, the AI isn't ready yet, the Yor are broken, Assembly doesn't get the growth bonuses its supposed to, I haven't checked this part but last I checked synthetic still relied heavyly on the Yor tree.  Plus all the bug tracking, polish and balance passes that need to be done.  3 weeks doesn't seem to be enough time to do all that.

April 22, 2015 4:07:47 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Larsenex,

You should add a phrase that this is your very personal oppinion. Also the devs do state that they are underway to fix the problems, balancing the not yet ready game. Just read their posts about latest patches on Steam btw. 

I do agree, that agressive posts like the mentioned one do not help to get a matured discussion about the notice. 

From my view it would cost Stardock lot's of reputation if they'd throw out an unfinished game. They allready got a very mixed response over Steams reputation system and this won't get any better if they should throw game out too early. 

April 22, 2015 4:47:30 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Ok Ill bite

Yes its my opinion. I have literally played dozens of games up to 5.3. Zero crashes. Zero functionality issues. Zero UI issues. I have long pauses between turns late game (post 150 turns). I play only on Excessive or Larger with 15+ factions and all minors. Game feels fun and again, I do not see the issues you are experiencing, nor are any of my friends who are also playing. 

In my opinion, This game is ready for release ~ if we compare it to other fabulous releases like 'Sword of the Stars 2' or Distant Worlds or Endless Space. All of those games upon launch were HORRIBLE and SotS2 was UNPLAYABLE! However they got very good after. In fact DW which is one of my favorite games was not really great until its first expansion.  

The game has nearly all of its features. Every patch we get the AI get REALLY better!

At least here they can get the game out the door and if needed (like EVERY game ever launched) can patch up stuff as it is revealed. 

Granted I am in the 'game runs fine' camp. I am ok if they push back release, I get it all anyway. However for what seems like the 100's of detractors it is as if they complain for the sake of tearing down the game. 

April 22, 2015 4:58:06 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Larsenex,

Yes its my opinion. I have literally played dozens of games up to 5.3. Zero crashes. Zero functionality issues. Zero UI issues. I have long pauses between turns late game (post 150 turns). I play only on Excessive or Larger with 15+ factions and all minors. Game feels fun and again, I do not see the issues you are experiencing, nor are any of my friends who are also playing. 

Wow, I don't know how you haven't seen any issues, I usually am unable to click on the diplomacy screen after meeting 30+ races and if I play on insane maps I normally crash once I approach turn 150.

April 22, 2015 5:00:14 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Several bugs. Features still need thought out. AI needs work. Yor are broken. Many features 'coming soon'. Not ready i think.

April 22, 2015 5:08:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Larsenex,

Ok Ill bite

In my opinion, This game is ready for release ~ if we compare it to other fabulous releases like 'Sword of the Stars 2' or Distant Worlds or Endless Space. All of those games upon launch were HORRIBLE and SotS2 was UNPLAYABLE! However they got very good after. In fact DW which is one of my favorite games was not really great until its first expansion.  

I'll be polite and say only that I'm amazed at your statement of 'Zero crashes' with 5.3 and 'Zero functionality issues'. Even if you only play single player I think those statements are a stretch; let's not even discuss Multiplayer.

While I'm not nearly as critical as the OP and have optimism in the Stardock team, saying 'This game is ready for release' is just not the case IMHO. You would have maybe been better off saying it WILL be ready, come release date. In your opinion.

Lots of stability fixes, performance tweeks and feature polish still required. Even the tech tree's for all the races are not complete yet, and those would seem to be the low hanging fruit to get into the next patch fairly quickly... Anyway no point in being over-critical but the same is true for sugar-coating the CURRENT status of the game. Needs quite a bit of work still, with a fast approaching release date. Best thing we can do is test & report, test & report. Also helpful to realize that Stardock know they will need to release pretty regular polish patches after release date arrives.

Cheers,

Zoo

April 22, 2015 5:50:04 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I fear for the terrible reviews this game is going to get if it is released in 3 weeks time.  There is just no way this game is release ready in 3 weeks.  I mean, really.  Bad reviews will kill this game's future which is not what I want to see.  It is in a fine state for a beta and will be a great game, but not in 3 weeks.

April 22, 2015 6:05:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I've got the rc of beta 6. It would be a 4 star game if that was the release version.

is GalCiv III "finished"? My answer: Never! I have a nearly infinite laundry list of stuff it "needs" (and don't you guys start on me about need vs. want).

April 22, 2015 6:12:51 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Rhaegor,

I fear for the terrible reviews this game is going to get if it is released in 3 weeks time.

Just what i was thinking.  I am a total SD/GalCiv fan and would hate to see bad reviews due to an early (not ready) release. No need to list the issues, just look at the forum!   Unless SD has a secret army of beta testers out there (obviously besides us) and has been holding back on releases with polish, fixes, balance changes ... This is just NOT ready IMO

I'll keep playing regardless but it bears repeating ... I fear for the terrible reviews this game is going to get if it is released in 3 weeks time.

April 22, 2015 6:17:22 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I've got the rc of beta 6. It would be a 4 star game if that was the release version.

is GalCiv III "finished"? My answer: Never! I have a nearly infinite laundry list of stuff it "needs" (and don't you guys start on me about need vs. want).

I hope so.  I hate to be negative, but I rather be real.  It is not like I have any idea what it is like to develop a game, but I am just concerned.  I want this game to do very well and make tons of money so you do multiple expansions, DLC, and patches.  Please for the love of God, make it good at release or delay release.

April 22, 2015 6:31:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Now that's the spirit!)) There is no limit to perfection indeed. Though a good start would help a lot. I trust in you and your team to do the right thing. Having fingers crossed for ya! 

Larsenex, really we were meant to be here to find bad stuff in the game. That what beta-testers do. No offence it's kinda strange you see no issues in the game while they are laying in plain sight.  

Still If you think it's all's'well then just make me a screenshot how would you paint a ship in blue color with the golden trim))

April 22, 2015 6:40:49 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Thanks for all the hard work that you and your team do awesome job

April 22, 2015 8:12:24 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Personally, I'm not worried and won't be getting my panties all in a twist. I trust Brad and company based on my experience with them over many years. They have known what they were doing in the past and I see no reason that this will change any time soon. If it's not ready to their satisfaction, then the date will be pushed back, reading Brad's comment above makes me feel that this won't be necessary. Until proven otherwise, they've got my trust and vote that the release will be a decent one. I've been enjoying the heck out of this game so far, and yes, what we have in our hands still needs a lot of work to go gold but we haven't seen what they currently have. Until then, I'm keeping my big mouth shut on giving them grief over something I know nothing about, i.e., the current state of the game. Makes no sense to get all worked up on what we have and assume what they have is close to the same level. So wait until we have more info (beta 6, which is feature complete for the release candidate) and then you can start to complain about what you see. All IMHO of course.

April 22, 2015 8:55:13 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'll echo some concern, but also know that companies got to make the money and get the game out at some point, so....GOOD LUCK STARDOCK!!!! Go Gal Civ 3!!!

April 22, 2015 9:12:32 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

During development of GC1, after the last beta there was a gamma test, where all the features were in and no more were introduced, the entire focus of the gamma testers and developers during that period was on finding and fixing bugs, not adding anything new.  I am hopeful that GC3 Beta 6 will serve the same function, as the current list of bugs maintained by Seilore is rather large, and the number of enhancements in Beta 6 (which includes all the governmental techs and presumably all those other techs currently marked as "Disabled for Beta") is rather large and needs a lot of testing.

April 22, 2015 10:23:29 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Beta 6 is essentially the "gamma" build. No new features go in after beta 6.

April 22, 2015 10:47:45 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I've already paid so if it comes out still in beta or gold on May 14th won't concern me. I've got all I need and more.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000672   Page Render Time: