Descriptions and planetary recon reports losing immersion

By on January 12, 2015 3:39:01 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Mackadelik

Join Date 06/2008
+4

Maybe I've been playing as the Yor too much : )  but I finding some of the info displayed to be taking me out the game immersion a bit. Exmaple: A fertile Earth-like planet. I think a general planet class type would be more immersive.

Thanks.

I'd also like to note that I've been trying to keep up with the great Dev Stream vids, but I've missed a few. I am personally impressed with how far the game has come along and also with the attention to detail it has and will continue to take!

Best,

Mackadelik

Locked Post 8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 12, 2015 8:10:18 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This post got me thinking if perhaps there are actual plamet classes not grounded in copywritten trek(TM).

After doing some searvhing, it turned out that... there is not quite... but there are a number of good similar things that have a great saimulation friendly naming scheme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potentially_habitable_exoplanets had a full listing:

• ESI: Earth similarity index (0-1) based mathmatically on radius, density, escape velocity, & surface temperature 
  • SPH: Standard Primary Habitability (0-1) based on surface temperature & relative humidity to indicate how habitable for primary producers (plants) that the planet is likely to be
  • HZD: Habitable Zone Distance (+/-N) Distance from the center of the star's habitable zone, scaled so that –1 represents the inner edge of the zone, and +1 represents the outer edge. HZD depends on the star's luminosity and temperature and the size of the planet's orbit.
  • HZC:Habitable Zone Composition Measure of bulk composition, where values close to zero are likely iron–rock–water mixtures. Values below –1 represent bodies likely composed mainly of iron, and values greater than +1 represent bodies likely composed mainly of gas. HZC depends on the planet's Mass & Radius
  • HZA:Habitable Zone Atmosphere Potential for the planet to hold a habitable atmosphere, where values below –1 represent bodies likely with little or no atmosphere, and values above +1 represent bodies likely with thick hydrogen atmospheres (e.g. gas giants). Values between –1 and +1 are more likely to have atmospheres suitable for life, though zero is not necessarily ideal. HZA depends on the planet's mass, radius, orbit size, and the star's luminosity.
  • pClass: Planetary Class  Classifies objects based on thermal zone (hot, warm, or cold, where warm is in the habitable zone) and mass (asteroidan, mercurian, subterran, terran, superterran, neptunian, and jovian).
  • hClass: Habitable Class: Classifies habitable planets based on temperature: hypopsychroplanets (hP) = very cold (< −50 °C); psychroplanets (P) = cold; mesoplanets (M) = medium-temperature (0–50 °C; not to be confused with the other definition of mesoplanets); thermoplanets (T) = hot; hyperthermoplanets (hT) = very hot (> 100 °C). Mesoplanets would be ideal for complex life, whereas class hP or hT would only support extremophilic life. Non-habitable planets are simply given the class NH.

Making non-fluffuse of them in GCIII is probably unlikely U'd guess, but maybe an expansion/GCIV  could make good use of them to make borders less impermiable.  Maybe what makes a great planet for race A B C &D  are all slightly/wildly different & instead of just heavy G world/toxic world/etc colonization there could be whole lines that give the researching race the ability to treat planets X above/below  their habitable zone as habitable so the same tech might affect different races differently

January 12, 2015 8:53:54 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I like the idea that different factions like different kind of planets as long as they can use the planets they want just as good as you.

January 12, 2015 8:56:33 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Wouldn't it be just as easy to make it say "an Altaria-like planet" or "Iconia-like planet"?  Better yet, if you re-name your home planet, it fills that name in the quality message.  That would be slick.

January 12, 2015 9:08:10 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I really like the idea of planets have a few attributes; i.e. temperature, O2 levels, and H2O levels and each race has different ideal zones so the same planets are different classes for different races. Terra-forming could then move these attributes closer to your ideal range so as you make a planet more hospitable for yourself it becomes less hospitable for others. I guess this would cause problems when planets are conquered or flipped though.

January 13, 2015 9:26:08 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

tHESE ARE THE default labels  right now without extreme worlds in:

Uninhabitable Planet
Habitable Planet
Uninhabitable Planet 
Gas Giant
Green world
Arid World
Oceanic World
Ice World
A dead world, devoid of life
A world barely able to sustain life
A fertile Earth-like planet
A home filled with lush vegetation
A paradise for new life
The jewel of the universe

January 21, 2015 12:26:34 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Great ideas guys! Thanks for the posts. I finally caught up on some of the dev vids and I must say the game has changed a great deal in all the best ways IMO. It sounded like a lot of polish would cover text descriptions and some of the issues with immersion. Hopefully they'll touch up on some of the ideas in this thread!

January 21, 2015 8:26:15 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'm not sure if the different civs should like different planets more. The lore has established reasons why the different species in the galaxy are so much alike, why they are so human like. Even the Altarians became very human despite there never had been any previous mammal species for them to evolve from. Maybe they could have a natural predisposition for certain kind of planets, giving them a discount when they start researching the techs or something like that. You know, to show that the Yor don't need for food so barren worlds should be less of a problem for them than other species.

January 21, 2015 8:44:52 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This would only work in a galaxy with an even number of worlds. This would make a great option for the game as far as extreme worlds. As far as class or even class 0 worlds this would only work if they had a way to exploit this as easily as you to have planets just as strong, and balance this with penalising them for colonising them for colonising higher class worlds, otherwise I wouldn't want factions to nerf themselves.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time: