There's still something very wrong with galaxy generation

By on December 13, 2014 11:18:31 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

charon2112

Join Date 02/2009
+57

Something's up with galaxy generation in GC3, the star layout is still way too uniform.  In the images below, I try to illustrate what I mean.  In GC2 the galaxies were much more organic.  Both are the same settings, loose clusters with occasional stars.

Locked Post 16 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 14, 2014 12:11:37 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I agree. Also, your screenshots illustrate your point nicely.

December 14, 2014 1:18:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Excellent point!

December 14, 2014 1:59:26 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Yeah, I tried to create a loose clusters game and the stars weren't really clustered together.

December 14, 2014 4:38:50 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Paul said on the last stream they did that the spacing of the stars and planets had been hard to do and he figure  it out just before the launching the Beta 3 patch. I think the red resource is still why to many tho.

December 14, 2014 12:41:20 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

i prefer tight clusters, rare stars,  abundant/abundant planets however this seems a little out of shape

spaaaaaaaace

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hog2edn5n4ob2er/Screenshot%202014-12-14%2012.37.21.png?dl=0

the second link is the same as the picture but for some reason i always have trouble putting up pictures

December 15, 2014 3:01:41 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting androshalforc,

i prefer tight clusters, rare stars,  abundant/abundant planets however this seems a little out of shape

spaaaaaaaace

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hog2edn5n4ob2er/Screenshot%202014-12-14%2012.37.21.png?dl=0

the second link is the same as the picture but for some reason i always have trouble putting up pictures

yeah I ran into that too!

December 15, 2014 3:44:10 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

if you're up for a quick mod this really makes the map much better

Quoting Thecw,

In the GalCiv3MapDefs.xml file:

<ReduceStarSystemBoundarySize>0</ReduceStarSystemBoundarySize>

Do NOT put a value above 9 here.

At 6 and higher, planetary systems will overlap;
At 9, stars might end up in adjacent tiles;
At 10, sometimes multiple stars are created on the same tile, resulting in a crash.
A value of 3 gives some nice results.

i have so far come across 1 instance of a planet overlapping an asteroid using 3 as a value this was with

tight clusters 

occasional stars

abundant planets

uncommon asteroids 

December 15, 2014 4:16:01 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I found setting planets to abundant and the rest to common increases the generation of habitable planets. Maybe because the amount of planets decreases and the odds of habitable planets increases? It worked in galciv2 and in 0.50

Now there just so few planets regardless of what settings I use.

December 15, 2014 5:45:49 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting androshalforc,

When you insert an image from a dropbox account you must specify as the image url the link url but with the value of 1 for the dl parameter.

Your screenshot with as image url https://www.dropbox.com/s/hog2edn5n4ob2er/Screenshot%202014-12-14%2012.37.21.png?dl=1

December 15, 2014 9:36:07 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Thecw,

When you insert an image from a dropbox account you must specify as the image url the link url but with the value of 1 for the dl parameter.

ahh thank you i never would have figured that out

December 15, 2014 9:48:36 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting androshalforc,

Quoting Thecw,

At 10, sometimes multiple stars are created on the same tile, resulting in a crash.

i have so far come across 1 instance of a planet overlapping an asteroid using 3 as a value this was with

tight clusters 

occasional stars

abundant planets

uncommon asteroids 

This works well.  Why can't SD just incorporate this into the base game? 

Thanks!

December 16, 2014 8:49:33 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting charon2112,

Quoting androshalforc,

Quoting Thecw,

tight clusters 

occasional stars

abundant planets

uncommon asteroids 

This works well.  Why can't SD just incorporate this into the base game? 

Thanks!

paul mentioniond in the last stream that he was rebalancing it and accidentally going the wrong direction and figured it out just prior to  the latest beta With no time to get it out before it went live. 

December 16, 2014 9:17:46 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Another separate point, I wish we had a mini map more like GC2's, showing the whole galaxy.

December 16, 2014 9:21:09 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This is a great post, unfortunately a lot of these issues are being caused by a bug, at its heart GC3 is using the same math as GC2 to do its placement, the problems people are seeing are for the most part in the data, (IE still needs balance) There are still some bugs however that we are working on, but there are several things that are currently exaggerating this issue, all of which our on our list to fix.

1. There was a bug in the star system definition (This was all my fault), that made none some empty orbit lanes get included in the buffer, this was adding sometimes as many as 3 empty rows. What this caused was the galaxy to think it was fuller than it was, and start to reject stars way too early. When you reduce the distance between stars with that the Def mentioned above what you are doing is kind of band aiding this issue. The good news is those changes should not be needed after the next patch.

2. Star systems tend to be a bit larger in GC3, this is because of several things, the hex layout, and the addition of resources. We are going to tighten up these a bit, but as a role the new star systems will always be a bit larger, and we don’t want star systems overlapping.

3. Black holes and nebulas take up space, this is the part we still need to balance, and can greatly though off the way the map looks at a glance. Currently black holes show up as a star, but they do not necessarily fallow the same roles as the other stars, so they tend to show up in empty space, this makes the empty areas look like they have stars when in fact they do not. What we are trying to avoid is a galaxy that is all stars in one area, and all black holes and nebula in the other.

We are working on all this and hope to have some major tweaks in for the next beta that will hopefully address everyone’s concerns.

December 16, 2014 10:11:10 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Paul, thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to provide us with some info and answers. We know you don't have to do this and it does take you away from more important things, like work!, but I just want you to know that many of us see how you guys try to accommodate us and it's very much appreciated! Thanks again to you and all the others!

December 16, 2014 4:31:33 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

No problem, just want to make sure everyone knows that we are working on all these assorted issues, we just have a wide range of things to address, so it takes a bit to get to each one.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time: