<String>Old Man Star</String>
LOL I love freedom of speech, but the name MUST DIE!!!!!
DARCA ;- )
When I initially changed mine a few weeks back I simply changed it to "Oldman"
As far as renaming - when undertaking the arduous task of going through each name I created a few rules for myself as I went along.
1. Any names that were joined LikeThis - I simply would add a space Like This.
2. As much as I didn't like to (mainly due to colonized planets holding them as well), I retained any Roman numerals. Some made sense while others not so much. But for consistency's sake I kept most of them as there were quite a few in the list.
3. Any Arabic (or 'normal') numerals being used as a suffix - I converted to Roman numerals to be consistent with above.
4. Also any names like anmagar67 - Rather than do Anmagar LXVII since there were no other Anmagar star names, I just dropped the 67 to have the much cleaner name Anmagar. Same with DORISMCMXLVII - I simply renamed it Doris.
5. If a name was visually erratic with combos of broken numerals and numbers like Am I3 nS - I simply went a combo visual/phonetic route and called it Ami Threens. Names like DPH 40717 I just dropped the numbers and called it Deph... N Y S P 4231 simply became Nysp.
6. Any all caps names (like AMRO) were simply converted to regular caps - Amro. Also all lower caps names I gave a capital to.
7. Any name with the suffix; World, Star, Sun, Sol, etc... I either A) Dropped off the suffix if the prefix word was strong on it's own merit or B ) Merged it to make one word: Amys World became Amysworld. or Metzgers Star became Metzgerstar.
8. Names like Berea DM i would either conjoin like Bereadim or do something like Berea Dim. But the 'i' or appropriate vowel would be added regardless.
9. Yes names like Bunnytopia and Cheesemonger are ridiculous - but generally if the names were 'correct' visually and grammatically I generally kept them as is. Plus it can add a little tongue in cheek to the game (which the game already has so it wasn't completely out of place).
10. Any stars with; 'of', 'the', 'in' or any other preposition were simply dropped. Eden of Wolvo became Eden Wolvo or it could be Edenwolvo.
11. Names like FearFrost simply looked better as one word so I used Fearfrost rather than Fear Frost. So in these cases like these I did not add the space but did remove the second capital letter. Also screen-namish names that had lots of alternating upper and lower cases like HayAlliG were simply made into one world Hayallig.
12. Now the absolute most annoying names of all were the non words with excess numbers. Some of these names took a little more effort and creativity. My goal was to make them fit in while somewhat keeping homage to their original name (at least to the visual/letter meaning - who knows what the true meaning is). Some examples:
HBW264 = Aichbi Dubea (dropped the numbers).
HK47 = Hekphorzevin.
NGS 7652 = Engis Svensyx Phituu.
NJ678KPH = Enjai Sixsev Ekph.
RH25052013 = Rh.
RHF 2508 = Rhf.
TDN1099 = Te Di Ehn (dropped the numbers).
X2f01 = Xtuph Owon.
050313 asag = Simply just Asag.
101010 = Oneoh Oneoh Oneoh.
127.0.0.1 = Ontoos Evan I.
3.141592653589 = Pi.
Though I am not 100% happy with some of these last ones at least they look somewhat alien in nature.
All in all, after fixing the list my in game experience with the names is great. With the exception of the roman numeral star names all the names blend right in seamlessly. I will have to reassess the roman numeral ones and I may alter them by removing them or replacing them with Greek suffixes (i.e. I = Alpha, II = Beta, III = Gamma, etc...)'
Perhaps Stardock should redo the Star name submissions and have all the founders resubmit names but this time establish some rules to the naming process.
95% of the names I passed over for tweaking were perfectly fine as is - IF - they just had spaces between words, caps issues corrected and excessive numbers or roman numerals attached to them removed. I know the numbers mean something to people but they clutter up the whole thing - especially when you colonize planets.
Lots of great names - I am happy they are in the game!