My Beta 1 Experience

By on August 15, 2014 10:16:01 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Seilore

Join Date 10/2006
+109

So far I've played around 2 hours of the beta, here are my thoughts...  Keep in mind some things have been already mentioned in other posts...

1.  Need edge scrolling...  (this is versus the click and hold to move the view of the map)

2.  Bug...  When quickly building many ships, and sending them to colonize many worlds this bug occurs...  Does not show ship in route past 6 ships so one may be sending ships to the same world and not realizing.

3.  Bug...  When using the various modify world tiles, it displays a tile in the bottom right corner of the planet screen that shows available to build, this tile is half on the map half off and is unable to select.

4.  Possible bug...  It appears that the options or none, rare, common, abundant, ect... aren't properly generating or seems off in some cases, common seems more than abundant.

5.  Need a better discription of the tile bonus's on the planet.  Currently it's hard to figure out what icon is giving what bonus.  One may figure this out through trial and error but, get's a little frustrating.

6.  Constant crashes when going to shipyard and clicking on manage...

7.  Can't dock more than six ships to a starbase, even though it appears you should be able to dock more.

8.  Like the auto build.

9.  Need to know what ships are being destroyed or are destroying enemy ships.  (assuming coming in future)

10.  Astroids on rare but all systems near my home word have them 6 in all.  If this is rare, I would assume maybe one would have astroids.  Related to point 4.

I'm sure more to come...  Thanks for the game so far.

Locked Post 18 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 15, 2014 10:59:20 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Nice list bro.

August 17, 2014 9:18:39 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Some additional points...

11.  Game becomes very unstable later in the game yet. Seems all related to my ship yard, more and more I click on it and the game crashes.  This could be because I have every planet feeding 1 shipyard, however, some players may play this way so that should not break the game.  I don't have time to submit the crash reports at the moment but, it will be done later today or tomorrow.

12.  Ships built should go on auto guard mode or at least have this as an option.  This becomes a pain as every turn a ship is being built and you have to constantly click guard or pass if you just want to create a fleet of x ships with new ships being built.

August 17, 2014 9:31:51 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,
5.  Need a better discription of the tile bonus's on the planet.  Currently it's hard to figure out what icon is giving what bonus.  One may figure this out through trial and error but, get's a little frustrating.

Click on the tile, in the upper right corner there will be a description with the bonuses.

August 17, 2014 4:38:43 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

7. Can't dock more than six ships to a starbase, even though it appears you should be able to dock more.

This might be related to ship logistics. I ran into a problem where I couldn't fortify a planet with more than 4 ships (4 huge ships is was the max I could stuff into a fleet at the time). I intend to test this.

August 19, 2014 10:15:24 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Rhonin, thanks for the suggestion, however, I still feel this could be clearer.

DivineWrath, thanks for catching this, I watched the dev stream after posting this error...

Here is a few more...

13.  Bug...   When clicking quick build on your shipyards, it does not subtract anything from your treasury.

14.  Bug...   No way (or at least I have not seen it) to tell a constructor to construct a starbase when there are multiple constructors stacked on top of one another.  (You have to move one off the stack to build.)

August 20, 2014 2:42:12 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

13.  Bug...   When clicking quick build on your shipyards, it does not subtract anything from your treasury.

There are 2 ways to get free ships from rush buying. I've mentioned it in another thread.

August 20, 2014 10:07:44 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting DivineWrath,

There are 2 ways to get free ships from rush buying. I've mentioned it in another thread.

Haven't read all the threads but happy to hear I'm not the only one seeing it...

15.  Bug...  Generating multiple star systems with the same name, therefore having the same planet names.

16.  Bug...  The can't colonize planet bug is back...

August 21, 2014 12:43:20 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

17. Window mode seem to stuff up cursor location inside game. 

August 21, 2014 9:19:43 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

18.  Bug... Constructors stacked on top of star base's do not show as available constructors on the right.  (see attached picture below)  You have to move the constructor and then move it back in order for it to reconize it.

Constructor Bug

19.  Star base military upgrade appears lit as if one could build it, however, is not available.  Maybe dim this red a little more.  (see picture below)

Star Base

20.  Tickets created for crashes... #JUC-502-38921 & #MGM-659-80907 (updated ticket noted in error #11)

3.  Updated picture for point #3

tiles

21.  Bug... Mini map stray lines are still present.  (DXdiag) is attached to either of the above tickets if that helps.

mini mpa

August 22, 2014 10:55:47 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

22.  Bug...  Why would I want my shields to cost 20% more?  I believe this is suppose to read -20% cost not +20% correct me if I'm wrong?  Shouldn't the technology be labeled as High Cost Shield Generator? 

Low Cost Shield Generator

23.  Bug...  Master Shield Assembly States shield cost +25%, same as the above, why would I want to pay 25% more for shields.  The discription even states cheaper.

Master Shield Assembly

August 24, 2014 10:29:21 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

24.   Bug... Invasion bug, unable to invade planet, very similar to the colonization bug where the game will not let you go to the planet.

25.   Bug... Singularity Drivers show that they are not in Alpha, this is Beta...

Singularity

26.   Bug...   Can't destroy ships that belong to a Race that controls no planets.

August 24, 2014 6:05:16 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Find more bugs or you're fired!

August 25, 2014 6:35:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

lol DARCA, here are a few more...

27. Bug... After invading a planet and upgrading existing buildings it states the Xeno Medical is 4294967295 turns.

Xeno Medical

28. Bug... This one is a little harder to prove, however, I invaded Sobek-Re II and instead conquered Sobek-Re III.

Sobek-Re

August 26, 2014 1:16:11 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Okkk...28 is a weird one

August 26, 2014 2:30:36 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

#18 not a bug.  The move-ship-onto-starbase idiom is overloaded, and has 2 meanings:

• join starbase's defensive fleet(s)
  • add to starbase's construction points
  • there should be a 3rd idiom here: ram enemy starbase ... like Battlestar Pegasus ... darn

If your ship is a constructor, and it would keep that starbase's "modules unspanned" non-negative, then it does #2.

All other ship types, and a constructor that exceeds the "modules unspanned", do #1 instead.  So excess constructors dock.

If you later gain buildable modules from techs while constructors are docked there, they do not automatically get sucked in like houseflies into a vacuum cleaner.  From this (and browsing the XML files), we can conjecture that the GC3 engine is event-driven, and the idiom is actually an event OnShipEntersStarbase, which triggers exactly then, and at no other time.  So just sitting inside doesn't trigger it again.

So maybe rephrase as: #18b. No OnStarbaseGainsModule event

August 26, 2014 7:37:54 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Gilmoy,

#18 not a bug.  The move-ship-onto-starbase idiom is overloaded, and has 2 meanings:

• join starbase's defensive fleet(s)
  • add to starbase's construction points
  • there should be a 3rd idiom here: ram enemy starbase ... like Battlestar Pegasus ... darn

If your ship is a constructor, and it would keep that starbase's "modules unspanned" non-negative, then it does #2.

All other ship types, and a constructor that exceeds the "modules unspanned", do #1 instead.  So excess constructors dock.

If you later gain buildable modules from techs while constructors are docked there, they do not automatically get sucked in like houseflies into a vacuum cleaner.  From this (and browsing the XML files), we can conjecture that the GC3 engine is event-driven, and the idiom is actually an event OnShipEntersStarbase, which triggers exactly then, and at no other time.  So just sitting inside doesn't trigger it again.
So maybe rephrase as: #18b. No OnStarbaseGainsModule event

I disagree I still see a bug here, this becomes very clear in late game...  there will be one constructor point remaining, and all new constructors hitting the starbase give 3 constructor points.  Because of this the constructors will not unpack and just keep joining the protecting fleet.  Therefore I can't build anymore items on the starbase as everything remaining costs 2 constructor points.  So at this point my star base is stuck and no longer upgradable.

September 6, 2014 4:15:59 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

29.  Beta 1 Patch 2 Issues...  Ship designer shows I have 196 of 200 points available, a 4 point object does not fit.  Here is a possible reason is that some of the pieces are 3.4 or other decimal sizes therefore when the game shows 196 it may actually mean 196.2 therefore my 4 point piece doesn't fit.  If this is the case then please switch the the designer to show decimals in points available such as 196.2 of 200 points available.

30.  Beta 1 Patch 2 Issue...   When adding planets to ship yard it pulls up a list, when having multiple planets to add I noticed some have a stretched picture of the planet in the background, other times just a colored line.  This also appears to be an issue.

September 6, 2014 4:31:15 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Seilore,

Ship designer shows I have 196 of 200 points available, a 4 point object does not fit. Here is a possible reason is that some of the pieces are 3.4 or other decimal sizes therefore when the game shows 196 it may actually mean 196.2 therefore my 4 point piece doesn't fit.

This (bug, I assume) has been in the Ship Designer since the Alpha.  I would prefer whole numbers as well.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time: