GalCiv III Pre-Beta Status

By on August 8, 2014 1:47:34 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Greetings!

The team is really excited to get Beta 1 of Galactic Civilizations III out there.  The target date is one week away.

The Founder's Edition, which is what provided access to the Alpha builds along with a lifetime subscription to everything we make for Galactic Civilizations III (all expansions, DLC) will not be offered anymore once the beta comes out.  On the other hand, the beta Early Access edition will be $5 off the list price of $49.95.

So what's up?

They got a major graphics overhaul to the ships in. It was non-trivial and I think players will agree when they see it that no game has ever had better looking ship visuals than what will be in Beta 1. A big part of the reason is that the graphics engine is 64-bit and we're requiring DirectX 10 or better and as a result the materials and lighting on ships is something we've never seen before in games (though I suspect as 64-bit becomes more common and DirectX 10+ becomes required in more games you'll see the generational leap in visuals from the legacy DirectX 9 era we're still largley stuck in).

The other thing they've been working a lot on is multiplayer. We have an Arena map in development that, believe it or not, should allow for 1 on 1 duels to be played in around half an hour.  We still have a lot of work on the multiplayer front though. We need to make it easy for people to rejoin games so that friends can get together and play together on games that might take months to complete.

Design Challenges

One of our objectives is for people to have the option to play new "Immense" sized maps where there might be hundreds of empires playing.  We have a lot of different ideas on how to make this work (few people are going to want to have to select 130 opponents to play against).  We might use Steamworks Workshop to allow players to share their custom made players and once approved have automatically added as additional AI players into games where a player wants to play a game with a truly insanely large galaxy.

Fleet Battles

The marketing team is struggling in how to describe the fleet combat in GalCiv III.  My suggestion has been to describe it in terms of Hearthstone.  Your fleet is your desk and your ships are your minions that you crafted.  However, where the analogy fails is that the actual "tactics" of fleet battles are handled AI vs. AI.  So your skill is about how you design ships and assemble fleets. Looking closely at what your enemies are designing with their ships and organizing them and countering it will be crucial.  

Diplomacy and AI

Beta 1 won't have diplomacy in. Some modder might figure out a way to turn it on but it's not ready to be shown yet. I am not scheduled to begin writing AI code until October.  

In less than 1 week, these forums will likely get very very busy.

Locked Post 71 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 8, 2014 1:53:59 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,
Design Challenges

One of our objectives is for people to have the option to play new "Immense" sized maps where there might be hundreds of empires playing.  We have a lot of different ideas on how to make this work (few people are going to want to have to select 130 opponents to play against).  We might use Steamworks Workshop to allow players to share their custom made players and once approved have automatically added as additional AI players into games where a player wants to play a game with a truly insanely large galaxy.

Yes. YES! YESSSSSSSSS! This is what I dreamed of.

Can we have an exact date on when the Elite Edition is going away and the beta is starting?

Also how has the Alpha gone compared to your expectations? Were there more or less founders compared to Stardock's estimates? 

August 8, 2014 1:56:41 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

130 empires playing on an insanely huge map?

YES PLEASE!!!

I just hope it runs and doesn't choke on its own tongue while processing turns like Civ V does. lol

August 8, 2014 2:11:43 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

So excited!  The family is mocking me for my grin.  Even the gamer geeks among them think I have gone a little overboard.

August 8, 2014 2:49:05 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

One of our objectives is for people to have the option to play new "Immense" sized maps ...

Wonderful. However, with what I have seen so far, I am becoming suspicious that 4G of RAM will not be enough to support them. Are you planning to include code to check how much RAM is available before permitting some galaxy sizes?

... where there might be hundreds of empires playing.

This could become quite interesting and challenging, but what is the memory cost going to be? Again, will 4G RAM support this without serious performance degradation? Will the start-up code check how much RAM is available before permitting any particular maximum number of opponents?

August 8, 2014 3:03:20 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,

Diplomacy and AI

Beta 1 won't have diplomacy in. Some modder might figure out a way to turn it on but it's not ready to be shown yet. I am not scheduled to begin writing AI code until October.  

In less than 1 week, these forums will likely get very very busy.

This is disappointing, though. A 4X game just isn't the same without diplomacy. I literally can only play for minutes at a time without it in. 

I guess I'll continue to wait. I'm hoping that you release a bunch of DLC because I haven't really taken full advantage of my Founder's purchase. 

August 8, 2014 3:03:35 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Fleet Battles

The marketing team is struggling in how to describe the fleet combat in GalCiv III.  My suggestion has been to describe it in terms of Hearthstone.  Your fleet is your desk and your ships are your minions that you crafted.  However, where the analogy fails is that the actual "tactics" of fleet battles are handled AI vs. AI.  So your skill is about how you design ships and assemble fleets. Looking closely at what your enemies are designing with their ships and organizing them and countering it will be crucial.  

^^^ This makes me happy! NO TC please! Will the combat viewer be working?

August 8, 2014 3:05:14 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

All sounds very exciting, thanks for the update. Very much looking forward to seeing the huge galaxy maps and of course the fleet battles.

August 8, 2014 3:06:21 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Steamworks Workshop to allow players to share their custom made players and once approved have automatically added as additional AI players into games where a player wants to play a game with a truly insanely large galaxy.

This would be great.

So your skill is about how you design ships and assemble fleets. Looking closely at what your enemies are designing with their ships and organizing them and countering it will be crucial.  

Perfect!

August 8, 2014 3:30:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hi All,

Ive been waiting for this game for some time. 

But I notice again that Tactical fleet combat is to be excluded again.

This is pretty disappointing.

You've managed to do everything better than Moo2, except that you've had to cut out one of the most important things in 4x, the ability to command your troops/ships.

Look how well the return of X-com did with their tactical battles, they were exciting and challenging (who says it cant be done well). However the strategic game was stripped down to its bare essentials and pretty much on rails, hugely reducing re-playability. Taking down UFO's was SUCH a wasted opportunity, I almost cried

During the early days of Galciv 2 I was very active in promoting Tactical combat and I'm fairly certain that you guys had said that this would be a part of Galciv 3. Well...if you aint doing it, then its a missed opportunity. AND will be detrimental to the sales of the game. Dont get me wrong, it will be a hit. But if you want to create a legacy to rival CIV, tac combat should really (have been) be included at some point. 

Players like myself, who are now leisurely greying, remember the classics (and still play them from time to time )  despair that everything is being watered down, made less thrilling, purely because some focus group or other choice method has ruled out key game elements that made the originals so much bloody fun. There are MILLIONS of us, we have the money, we have the time and if you show us the good stuff we will PAY. 

That said I will still buy the game and have a few rounds, purely because I love the Genre and do not want it to disappear, swallowed by the likes of GTA/AssCreed and all their brethren.

Thanks

Farakh

August 8, 2014 3:34:17 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The TC whining just has to stop.  Moo2 was a tactical game to begin with, X-com was also...Galciv was not.  They aren't changing or watering down GC by removing TC.  It was never there, and shouldn't be.

August 8, 2014 3:38:29 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Thanks for the update, Frogboy. Bring it on! I say.

August 8, 2014 3:44:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting FROOKIE,

But if you want to create a legacy to rival CIV, tac combat should really (have been) be included at some point. 

There are MILLIONS of us, we have the money, we have the time and if you show us the good stuff we will PAY. 

In Civ I can throw a unit or stack of units at a unit or stack of units.  In GalCiv, I can throw a ship or a fleet of ships at a ship or fleet of ships.  What is the difference you are trying to illustrate as Tactical Combat?  I can understand someone wanting TC, even if I don't, but this is not a valid argument for it

If there were really MILLIONS of you, some marketeer would have found you a long long time ago.  But they know baseless exaggeration when they see it, being masters of the art.

August 8, 2014 3:45:21 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Frogboy, have you played the card game Titanium Wars? The way the fleet combat works is kinda interstesting.

Also I'm curious your take on whether going pure DX11 is a good/bad idea? Are there benefits to going to pure DX11 (such as pipeline optimzatoins) that make up for the deficit that for some inexplicable reason people are running their PC rigs on 5 year old hardware. I'm actually a bit angry the Steam Hardware Survey gives such poor data on DX11 vs DX10 usage. I'm wondering if you have any game specific hardware stats you'd be willing to share for say GalCIv2 or Elemental that covers DX10/11 stats?

August 8, 2014 4:06:22 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Really HAPPY I'll finally get to see all the shiny goodies we've gotten looks at on the devstreams, AND a week before I was expecting it. Now, what will really make me extra happy is when we finally get the diplomacy in. But I would rather see that start in awesome mode than just get something imperfect.

August 8, 2014 4:37:53 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,

Design Challenges

Sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet!

August 8, 2014 7:05:47 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting erischild,

Quoting FROOKIE,

But if you want to create a legacy to rival CIV, tac combat should really (have been) be included at some point. 

There are MILLIONS of us, we have the money, we have the time and if you show us the good stuff we will PAY. 

In Civ I can throw a unit or stack of units at a unit or stack of units.  In GalCiv, I can throw a ship or a fleet of ships at a ship or fleet of ships.  What is the difference you are trying to illustrate as Tactical Combat?  I can understand someone wanting TC, even if I don't, but this is not a valid argument for it

If there were really MILLIONS of you, some marketeer would have found you a long long time ago.  But they know baseless exaggeration when they see it, being masters of the art.

There are millions of us, greying leisured fellows with a history of gaming that spans the last few decades, any argument to the contrary is just a bit silly, hell even Mr Wardell is one of us and we aint dead yet . Who are these high powered marketers you're talking about? they don't exist, you might as well mention the illuminati, at least not for 99% of the games released these days and especially not strategy games (except CIV). And just how are most games of this genre marketed? They are not advertised on telly, I don't think its really in the budget. Industry magazines sure, but to do really well these days its gotta get the reviews and then advertise on the sites with the greatest subscribers, IGN, Gamespot, Games radar etc. Then you have the emails to the userbase you have from previous iterations an similar games, not to forget Steam, a lot can be done there to raise the profile of the game, and then there is good old WOM, thats word of mouth to all you good folks at home. 

Oh and marketing is an art if done right. Love me a good bit of baseless exaggeration

I gave civ as an example of legacy and I gave X-com as an example of how good tactical combat can be. Masters of Orion 2's (MOO2) tactical combat, while pretty easy was hugely entertaining, (cost me a module in my degree back then). I say again, Galciv is the true spiritual successor to MOO2 and THAT had tac combat, AND it was a hugely successful game...so it might just be an idea to add it in

As you seem to be averse to tac combat, Im sure they can have an option to disable it from the game, just for you....and the millions of people jus like you

Anyway...Cant wait for the release tac combat or no

Cheers

August 8, 2014 7:20:04 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting FROOKIE,

Galciv is the true spiritual successor to MOO2

Why? Just about every space 4x from the last couple of years has claimed MOO2 as inspiration.

August 8, 2014 7:37:46 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting AdamTaylor,

130 empires playing on an insanely huge map?

YES PLEASE!!!

I just hope it runs and doesn't choke on its own tongue while processing turns like Civ V does. lol

Gal Civ's AI crunches numbers in the background while you do your turn. When you click the turn button it almost immediately commences to your next turn! In GC2 it would take 10 seconds max in late game for the turn to advance (for me on huge maps with about 4 or 5 AI).

August 8, 2014 7:42:33 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting FROOKIE,

Anyway...Cant wait for the release tac combat or no

Cheers

On that we can gladly agree! 

August 8, 2014 8:20:29 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting FROOKIE,

hell even Mr Wardell is one of us

Quoting FROOKIE,

Galciv is the true spiritual successor to MOO2

To quote Mr Wardell..."Galactic Civilizations is not Master of Orion"

http://draginol.joeuser.com/article/88762/Galactic_Civilizations_is_not_Master_of_Orion

And I believe that erischild's point was simply that the TC people are a very vocal minority.  

August 8, 2014 8:25:33 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Ha just 130?!?! I can beat 200+ AI with a hundred turn head start!

Really I think this will be a real challenge for my grand stellar empire and my way of thinking. My only question is will there be vassal states?

Also wouldn't it be cool you did a immense map with only two civs, or just the main ones? I wonder of it would be harder than fighting 100+?

DARCA.

August 8, 2014 8:34:29 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Ugh

August 8, 2014 9:53:06 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

GLORIOUS.

I had thought the "130 AI on a big-ass map" was just some idle boasting, I'm so happy to see I was wrong.

I'm looking forwards to this very much! Also, owning the highest-rated steam review, I may just change my score to "recommended" :3

August 8, 2014 10:01:28 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,

Have I mentioned recently how great I think Stardock is?

"Truly insanely large." --Brad Wardell, 2014 AD

August 9, 2014 5:22:41 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Great news 

I've been waiting for the beta early access to come out. I can't wait to try it. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000329   Page Render Time: