How to make this the greatest strategy game of all time.

By on April 17, 2014 9:31:47 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

ethanstout

Join Date 03/2009

This game is 64 bit!  You know what that means?  An INSANE amount of ram at our disposal limited essentially by your rig and wallet. (I think the limit is 128 Gigs of ram in 64 bit probably wrong though). 

So on to how to make the greatest strategy game of all time.  This is how Stardock, (David) takes down Firaxis (Goliath) and wins the acclaim of a generation of gamers.  Make the game open to true modding via a .dll like Civilization 4.  Let gamers change the rules.  Let gamers decide the scale of the game.  Maybe I want to show more detail in GC3.   Maybe a gamers wants planets to rotate around stars.  Maybe a gamer want to utilize moons and build on them like planets. Maybe a gamer wants to build on dwarf planets or comets like Sedna.  Maybe a gamer wants to make really in depth tactical combat on planets.  Maybe a gamer wants to make the entire planet a game.  Let gamers determine the amount of players in a game.  Maybe I want to play with 100 races.  Maybe a gamer wants to put the predator, Aliens, Star wars, and Star trek races in a game?  Klingons VS Predators?  Storm Troopers vs the Federation?  Borg Aliens?   How F-ing cool would that be?  It may take long turn times, but some people will gladly accept that tradeoff.  What if there were two races on a planet? Maybe living harmoniously Maybe one is a slave race?  What if that slave race revolts?  Suddenly you're involved in a revolt on a "safe" planet and its not so safe anymore!  What if you had the ability to try and contain said revolt?  What if said revolt spread to other worlds where the enslaved race is enslaved?  Not so Jagged Knife from GC2 anymore, but the end result could be the same!  The important difference is the player has a hand in it, and it doesn't feel like a game breaking event.  What if a gamer wants to break the orbit of a planet and move its orbit to a more habitable zone?  Or use it as the ultimate planet killer?    Let the gamer control the amount of hexes on a planet.  Instead of having 20 or 30 max, Let's go 50000 and make every planet a game, complete with terrain, gravity, and natural hazards.  What if I want to simulate the rise of the Empire from Star Wars on a single planet or Dune or Hoth?  AT-AT's vs Transformers?  Jedi vs Elminster?  Let the gamer control diplomacy options.  Let the gamer control government types available.   Let the gamer control the UI and everything else. 

This game would easily smoke CIV5 and CIV5 BE (CIV's remake of alpha centauri) and you will beat CIV 6 to market!  They may not even be planning to make CIV 6  64 bit because they don't want to lose potential customers.  This is a tremendous advantage for Stardock.   You'd have the modders working and committed to you.  An immeasureable resource with the time to pour love into the game.  An army constantly creating new content and drawing new purchasers to the game for years.  Of course you would have to impose some rules on the DLC and expansion packs.  I bet a lot of modders would be glad to not step on your toes for the trade-off.  Stardock really impressed me with the Elemental debacle.    It's hard giving a game away, and I'm sure it hurts the bottom line.  BUT you put the gamers over your bottom line!  Who does that anymore?   The Civillization series has become a rushed to market bug laden disaster every time.  They've given up the name brand they once had.  A solid, fun game off of the shelf?  I don't hold out high hopes. 

Locked Post 19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 18, 2014 1:57:01 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I think your a bit insane. More than the average. Lol.

most of this can be achieved be a "world builder" which would give the greatest amount of customization.

Civ does suck btw, but SD isn't "David". Sure it could have more players and notoriety but that will likely change soon. This game has a better AI, customization, graphics, diplomacy, mult-player, and combat (not full tactical but it still blows Civ away.)

David became king afterwards so...

DARCA.

April 18, 2014 2:09:08 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting DARCA1213,

I think your a bit insane. More than the average. Lol.

OP, this is DARCA saying this.

Sit down, and think about this fact for a while.

April 18, 2014 2:19:33 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

ENOUGH INSINUATIONS! I know I'm not Joe normal, no writer or person is. (which is why I said more than average to the OP to be fair.) But honestly people, please tell me what the oddest most unusual thing about me is. PLEASE I want to know everything.

DARCA.

April 18, 2014 2:32:20 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting DARCA1213,

ENOUGH INSINUATIONS! I know I'm not Joe normal, no writer or person is. (which is why I said more than insane to the OP to be fair.) But honestly people, please tell me what the oddest most unusual thing about me is. PLEASE I want to know everything.

Honestly, it's your ability to bridge seemingly-unrelated subjects without skipping a beat. I've seen you say something about the game in one sentence, then immediately mention in the next sentence something about kittens, then the following sentence you say something about a forum poster.

You go from A to P to X and not from A to B to C. Reading things you write is... fascinating. It's refreshing, and somewhat unsettling, seeing such non-linear thinking displayed so consistently.

April 18, 2014 6:45:32 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ParagonRenegade,

Honestly, it's your ability to bridge seemingly-unrelated subjects without skipping a beat. I've seen you say something about the game in one sentence, then immediately mention in the next sentence something about kittens, then the following sentence you say something about a forum poster.

You go from A to P to X and not from A to B to C. Reading things you write is... fascinating. It's refreshing, and somewhat unsettling, seeing such non-linear thinking displayed so consistently.

I agree with PR on this one. Half the time I feel like my head is going to explode into supernova ninja stars after reading a Darca post.

April 18, 2014 7:25:06 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

You know a lot of this is possible and built in CIV 4.  Those modders bumped against the 3 gig ram limit years ago.  Now they  are finding ways to narrow the field of vision to limit the amount of ram used.  10 years ago I would have said it was impossible for computers to write words dictated from a human voice.  20 years ago?  Todays graphics were not even dreamed of. 

April 18, 2014 8:13:09 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Viper1989,
I agree with PR on this one. Half the time I feel like my head is going to explode into supernova ninja stars after reading a Darca post.

LOL Yes, his style is a bit, unique, to say the least. Darca, you seem to like to put out there that you're a "writer", and you seem proud of it, but to be honest, your posting style is often filled with spelling and grammatical errors that don't paint you in a favorable light as far as being a writer is concerned. If you truly want to promote yourself as a writer, you might want to pay attention to these little facts as they're not helping your resume.

April 18, 2014 9:01:58 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting DARCA1213,

ENOUGH INSINUATIONS! I know I'm not Joe normal, no writer or person is. (which is why I said more than average to the OP to be fair.) But honestly people, please tell me what the oddest most unusual thing about me is. PLEASE I want to know everything.

DARCA.

The most unusual thing about you your posts is your fearless expression of your inner stream of consciousness.  You put into text form your free associations.  Reading your posts is often a nice diversion from linear logic derived "a > b >c " comments. 

April 18, 2014 9:09:55 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

True I don't proofread anything. Or even write half of my post in one sitting, I typically write like I am doing now, half in the shower half whenever. Sometimes I send texts to myself to remember what I want to say and then bust them out quickly. Other times I try doing so very late at night when I'm tired. Sometimes I don't give a shit and write whatever pleases me.

I will be aware of the sentencing from now on, but don't expect me to get in the habit of perfect grammar. I will always write what I think and I think fast, spell check later.

DARCA.

April 18, 2014 9:45:25 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Somone would make some nice bucks by developing a 4XMaker instead of an RPGMaker. 

April 18, 2014 9:52:12 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I am left handed and I did have a head injury as a child...

My doctor visits are worthy to put on YouTube and women find me fascinating. (good looking, tall, smart, successful, funny, and very charismatic. Way more than my brother.)

When I write on the forums people are confused and refreshed. (like my bros ex girlfriend.)

I am the most interesting DARCA in the world.

DARCA.

April 18, 2014 10:15:46 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I like how this thread derailed into Darca's self apology.

You know, Darca, when writing disjointedly you are not merely reducing your credibility and your impact when you try to communicate, but it is also a lack or respect to others who are trying to read you.

Note to OP: Not 100% sure what it the objective of your post. Asking SD to make the game easy to mod? I think they said it would be the most easily moddable GalCiv so far. 

April 18, 2014 11:06:58 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

EvilMaxWar I didn't burn down a orphanage chill out, and my name is DARCA.

April 18, 2014 12:02:17 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting DARCA1213,

...and my name is DARCA.

April 19, 2014 9:52:17 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'm just assuming Darca to be Russian or something.

April 19, 2014 10:14:54 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Iggore,

DARCA transcends nationality, such concepts are beneath him.

April 19, 2014 10:17:28 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Iggore,

Btw his name is DARCA, plz stop teasing him.

May 27, 2014 11:24:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ethan, Do you realize the amount of computing power you would need to do the things you have suggested for players. It just seems unrealistic as I would have to combine and network the CPU and Ram of several computers alone to be able to run a game. I would seriously need a mainframe to play a game with all your suggestions. This not feasible for the average gamer. Although I do like your thinking and intentions.

May 28, 2014 12:40:38 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting DARCA1213,
I typically write like I am doing now, half in the shower

Quoting DARCA1213,
My doctor visits are worthy to put on YouTube

DARCA don't change a thing, these forums would be much duller without you.

To the OP: They have made a commitment to increasing the ease of modding. That being said, your premise is flawed, The base game is what will determine the success of this game. Moders and those who use mods are an extremely small percentage if the player base. SD is making a game, not a platform for others to make their own games.

Also, the video game market is not a zero-sum game. GalCiv III can be a success without comparing itself to CIVX (good thing too, because that is perhaps the greatest series of games ever IMO despite some shortcomings of V). GalCiv II is in many ways superior to other 4x games of its time, including CIV, but remained a cult hit because of marketing and distribution. In fact, what has made SD such a compelling developer so far is that they just seem to try to make great games without worrying too much about being a hit or being the biggest. My understanding is that the non-games divisions of SD make them much more financially stable than most game developers, especially of their size.

I've derailed myself a bit, but in the end my point is GalCiv III will be a great game because the game itself will be great, not because of how easy it is to change.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time: