The GalCiv3 Comprehensive Idea and Request List: Revised.

By your imaginary friend DARCA. ;-)

By on March 10, 2014 3:40:35 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

DARCA1213

Join Date 01/2014
+106

THIS IS EDIT#41: This post will include idea by writing them in a brief format.

There have been numerous good ideas for this game that have been read. Sadly because we are human, some may have been forgotten or discarded. I am sure Stardock has a great creative process to remember them, but this list is a courtesy as there are currently 14 pages with about fifty posts on each one.

Alpha game ideas are welcome, not bug reports or what's absent (duh). Features already in game or planned to be will be removed from the list as they are added to the alpha/beta.

Here is a easy to read list of all the sane ideas I have found.

UNITS, COMBAT, AND RELATED FACTORS:

1. A enhanced ship leveling system.

2. Ship promotions: a system that gives more than HP as a reward.

3. A way to easily upgrade multiple ships at once.

4. Star base docking and joint tile defense with fleets.

5. Total planetary bombardment. (or the ability to modd it.)

6. Some kind of late game super weapon.

7. Heros/admirals/commanders/crews.

8. Logistics influencing ship range.

9. Logistics impacts planetary defense and invasion.

10. Capturing ships/star bases.

MODULES AND THE EPIC SHIP DESIGNER:

1. Science vessels. A module that adds a set amount of research.

2. Starbase population modules.

3. Different laser beam colors.

4. Over clocking components. To increase the size of a component for increased effects. The same for under clocking applies.

5. Old galciv2 design imports.

6. Starbase designer.

CIVICS, CIVS, AND IDEOLOGY:

1. Civics and ideology that influence the probably of rebellion.

2. More ways to make and prevent planetary rebellion.

3. More playable civilizations.

4. Multiple leaders per civilization.

IMPROVEMENTS:

1. "Dyson Ring" orbital Power Stations.

2. Improvement modules that increase output and efficiency, like; larger living quarters in factories=more output.

3. On/off switchs for improvements to reduce maintenance in hard economic times.

COLONIZATION, FEATURES, AND GALAXY SETUP:

1. Custom planets for custom races; a way to customize your home system at the game setup.

2. Partly random race selections in game setup.

3. Blind tech advancement.

4. Pocket universes; a area that is accessible from one tile. (Also a large. Area initially out of reach of colonization was wanted to. Like a mirror universe.)

5. Chosen completed tech branches.

6. Optional tech branch speeds;

7. Different race life forms; be like the Yor as robots, or organic, or something in between.

8. Partly Randomized tech tree cost.

9. Partly Randomized improvement cost.

10. Custom civ traits that can define your play style. Example: +% in laser damage, or +% armor.

11. Rainbow worlds: full of resources but weird stuff tends to happen if you colonize them.

12. A minimum threshold of habitability like in Galciv1. (what does that mean?)

13. A way to have homeless players in games, including the player.

DIPLOMACY AND TRADE:

1. Special dialogue between allies, and specific tasks.

2. More relation factors.

3. More treaties to give.

4. Defensive pacts.

5. Add Morgan Freemen's voice as a valuable diplomatic resource for the game.

6. Closed/open borders agreements.

7. Ships can get range a increases in allied territory. (for a fee possibly)

8. Civ credit ratings.

9. Request allies to research techs. And joint tech research.

10. Trade routes can yield production, research, or minor morale boosts.

11. Ultimatums and time dead lines for demands.

12. Planet liberation. (return the planet to the original owner, and you get all surviving troops and transport.)

13. The ability to loan/rent starports, or other things.

14. The use of collateral for trades.

15. Third party deals; have someone make a deal for you or with someone.

16. The ability to surrender to a faction becoming a vassal state; Doing so may result in losing your super ability or other bonuses.

18. Option to give credits per turn in diplomacy.

19. Population trading.

INFLUENCE:

1. Improve the way influence is calculated; economy, and morale can be factors.

2. Grant visibility within friendly borders.

3. Influence can help go to grow population.

4. Options when someone violates your closed borders agreement; destroying the single ship instead of a automatic conflict.

5. Planet influence tile limits; so a super planet can't go over a sector or a entire small map.

6. civs cannot colonize planets in your influence.

R.E.P AND POPULATION:

1. Asteroids that give research or economics if chosen.

2. Two populations; one civilian and one military.

TECHNOLOGY:

1. Researching multiple techs at once. (you may have to research this ability. Lol )

2.  Research points can be dispersed and spent if you have multiple techs at the same time.

3. Unending technology research. tech branches become more potent the second time being researched.

4. Enable race research bonuses in specific tech areas. Example: Drengin get double the research points when researching Warfare tech.

5. Let Research Treaties allow techs either civs couldn't do alone.

6. Object based requirements for techs. (ships, starbases, and treaties)

VICTORY:

1. Allow Vassal states in conquest victories. (So everyone doesn't have to die.)

2. Capital victory. (conquer all enemy home worlds.)

3. Espionage victory. (Advanced intelligence on all civs, and spies on X% worlds for X turns.)

4. Economic victory. (be the richest and or most influential civ.)

5. Domination victory. (like the influence victory but with population)

6. Super technology victory. research all techs to win, (possibly twice or more) and build the winning super project.

7. No victory conditions selected. (for when you just want to play forever.)

AI, UI, PROGRAMMING, AND MODDING:

1. AI can declare war on first encounter with you in real games.

2. Applying to ALL game aspects, may there ALWAYS be a defense or a way to lessen negative effects via strategy.

3. In game editors. (like in civ)

4. Smarter automated scouting and way points.

5. Computer generated opponents.

6. A disable tag on events for easy modding or in game selection of controversial events.

8. Support for scripting languages that could allow players to add new game play mechanics.

9. Fully adjustable AI; Have one slider decide how much help you or the AI gets with production, research, and economy. And the old AI intelligence/algorithm slider to make a game with a more customizable difficultly.

10. Animated leader reactions/movement when given proposed deals.

EVENTS:

1. Civil wars. A group of planets rebelling at the same time for independence.

2. Auto trigger events button that isn't a cheat code. like the disaster button in SimCity.

3. Race specific random events. Like drengin declaring war if your Torian or machines Rebelling if your the Iconian.

4. An event were special abilities can stop working when they are needed. i.e Altarians not getting help in wars.

5. Random event missions for ships and your empire. (explore X sector or improve relations with X empire or be first to complete X tech for a reward.

6. Planetary events don't always have to be ideological.

ESPIONAGE:

1. Make spies easier to train; a flat rate to create.

2. Spy costs scale with the amount active; when a spy is lost the cost scales with the amount active, so the price isn't exponential if you loose spies. (if 1. is ignored.)

3. Spy interrogation; find out what civ sent the spy.

4. If you place a spy in a research lab, instead of nullifying the lab you can steal research points from the lab each turn. Or steal a tech easier.

5. Missions against planets that can increase the probability of revolt and loss of assets.

6. Spies are not detected the first turn of infiltration, unless your espionage score is high enough.

If you have a idea write it in a similar format and in as short as possible in a post and I'll add it. Keep it simple though, don't give me a headache with long paragraphs and riddled words.

Thanks you and remember, its easier for a dev to look at this every now and then vs every forum made. So double post a abbreviated version of your posted idea here.

DARCA

Locked Post 84 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 10, 2014 5:56:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

w00t! 

Did you really go trough all the 9 pages of forum posts and read it all to compile that list?

March 10, 2014 6:38:57 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

PLEASE HELP ME!!! Half of the posts here aren't ideas and sometimes people ramble for entire forums! I went through all there was the best I could trying to Sovereign-ly pick real ideas, and I didn't get half of it.

But... I did find this interesting bit of info from a really old Gaunathor quote.

"there'll be Long Range, High Efficiency, and Low Mass versions of weapons, and High Density, High Yield, and High Efficiency versions of defenses available."

I had no idea that is going to be in the game! I'm going to start a new post just to talk about it. Lol.(and give it a eye grabbing title )

But I won't discuss that here.

Also. GAUNATHOR DID YOU GET MY MESSAGE?

March 10, 2014 7:43:32 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting DARCA1213,

PLEASE HELP ME!!! Half of the posts here aren't ideas and sometimes people ramble for entire forums! I went through all there was the best I could trying to Sovereign-ly pick real ideas, and I didn't get half of it.

Well, I salute your efforts. My best advice would be to update the list in real time as people make interesting suggestions, to make the task more bearable. Once the Alpha and the beta will be released the amount of posting on the forum will likely skyrocket.

To make matters more ''interesting'' it seems to be a thing here on Stardock forums to write ''Walls of text''. Ive been and am still active on several forums and only on Stardock do I see so many pages-long posts. Interesting phenomenon but it can make it tedious to read the forum when you log in and there are a few completely new ''essays'' to read. Back at the time of the FA beta I was trying to keep up to date with the forum posts but I constantly found myself overwhelmed.

March 11, 2014 12:47:27 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Well I have a few you might add.

1. A lot of factions like 83.

2. I like the multiple leader idea on Civilization 4 I think that all the factions should have multiple leaders with different abilities.

3. A map of 1200 solar systems.

4. Stay out of my space where you can people to get out of my space, but un order to do anything you have to physically catch and arrest them.

5. Multiple paths to the same tech.

6. Tech research where the private sector researches techs with you picking techs to research.

7. Factions could combine tech points to research the same tech at once. This would mean that both factions would get the tech.

8. The Ai would learn from playing against you.

9. Requesting factions to research a tech.

10. More objects in space.

11. An optional game where different factions get randomly selected what type of planet they start on. Also the class of planet could be randome.

12. Tech points where you can divide these to either research one tech, or multiple techs.

March 11, 2014 1:57:58 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Thanks Admiral its done.

DARCA

March 11, 2014 2:04:23 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting admiralWillyWilber,

10. More objects in space.

March 11, 2014 1:18:25 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Would making some things like Loyalty useful count?

March 11, 2014 2:08:17 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Thanks and I'll elaborate on espionage today. Il try to tie some ideas together so they mesh with the game.

DARCA

March 11, 2014 4:35:33 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'd add a few more (if I may):

a. civil wars -- real ones, not just rebellious planets (I'm re-reading Mote in God's Eye, and civil wars can be devastating and very disruptive)

b. repair ships (tenders) to enhance repairing damaged ships in deep space, like on the border of your empire (this is in addition to Starbase modules)

c. missions -- I'd love to see special missions, such as "Investigate this system" or "this wreckage" -- something to add flair and break the monotony of turn-to-turn processes

d. love the closed borders, but trade ships should perhaps be able to pass? After all, trade happens even when you don't want someone else's warships hanging around your coast, er, planets...

March 11, 2014 4:41:35 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

It will be done. I wrote idea d. And I think I wrote idea b. Already. I could be wrong.

thanks MichalRHys! I will put them under AI and morale sections.

DARCA

March 11, 2014 6:07:15 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

ECONOMICS, PRODUCTION, AND RESEARCH:

12. Science Vessels (add a "Research Labs" Module)

13. "Dyson Ring" Power Station (Late game super project that supplies lots of power for late game power hungry factories, research labs, ext.) 

March 11, 2014 6:15:32 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Nice. I forgot science vessels, they were on my original list. 13 is going under improvements...after I have dinner.

DARCA

March 11, 2014 6:24:59 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Have you guys thought about carrier units for some races ? thats the one thing that was always missing from GC2 , carrier units with either :

* independent fighter units which we can dock to the main ship.

-or-

* Built in fighter bays for ships that launch when attacking or defending.

just an idea.

Admiral Harrison

March 11, 2014 7:05:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

IIRC Frogboy hinted that carrier ships would be in this time.

March 11, 2014 7:26:53 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I have edited "UNITS 5. Carriers" to be easier to read. And Mr. War is right about carriers.

DARCA+ Gaunathor not replying to PM= [e digicons]:'([/e]

March 11, 2014 8:29:20 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,

7. Enhanced combat mechanics and direct control. ( I am vague because the topic is...delicate. Lets not discuss this one here. Please.)

YOU HAVE UNLEASHED MY INNER BEAST. 

lol

Really though, nice list, but I certainly have some reservations about one or two or ten of them.

March 11, 2014 8:39:04 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Speak up man! so I can edit the list!

DARCA

March 11, 2014 9:13:07 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

i just posted this in another thread but ill add it in here

not sure if it falls under

AI, UI, AND MODDING:        or             ECONOMICS, PRODUCTION, AND RESEARCH:           probably the former

13. Multiple tech requirements to unlock some techs. (the ability to mark several techs as a prerequisite for another tech (laser + quantum power for phaser))

March 11, 2014 9:17:56 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

GUI suggestion:

Multiple monitor support!

I made a thread about that a while ago and I would like to shamelessly plug the suggestion here if I may.

March 11, 2014 9:24:24 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting lecek,

GUI suggestion:

Multiple monitor support!

I made a thread about that a while ago and I would like to shamelessly plug the suggestion here if I may.

i think i had one going as well what would also be nice on this topic is the ability to adjust the UI to your own needs eve had a fairly decent UI that could be stretched across multiple monitors then offset so you could throw up a map/communications/ drone controls or whatever on the second monitor without taking away from the main play area

March 11, 2014 10:37:59 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Done. Its under the UI section.

DARCA

March 12, 2014 12:05:01 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hey Darca I've saw you on a commercial today. I want to give you credit for all this work.

March 12, 2014 12:29:02 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Thanks. I made this to try uniting our different opinions into something the devs could see a bit easier. It's not perfect but I think it's helped them in some way.

¿What commercial?

DARCA

March 12, 2014 4:45:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

8. Power stations. (A late game super project that increases the efficiency and output of production and research related buildings.)

Just an FYI.  This was meant to be a Dyson Ring Power Station. Or alternatively a Solar Power Generation Starbase...  basically a ring (or cloud of satellites) around a star that generates huge amounts of electricity.  The way it reads makes it sound like its land based instead of a huge space station around a star...

In all honesty its not really a "Dyson Ring" as its inner surface wouldn't be habitable, just for power generation!

Nice work though.  I appreciate the consolidated thread!

March 12, 2014 5:04:38 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I will correct that.

Thanks.

DARCA

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time: