Planets seceding from an empire/republic.

By on February 28, 2014 5:46:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Jorundur85

Join Date 02/2014
+3

While playing GC2 I remember having an occasionally case of "unhappy" planets either joining another galactic power, or seceding to form an independent colony. Those planets that declared independence I always found to be rather dull because of the lack of possibility to set up a dialog with them, as well having no means to defend themselves(no fleet). The only way to get them back was through invasion, and that usually took little effort.

Now, what if, while ruling an unruly empire, there would be the possibility of a few planets to secede from your empire and form a coalition(sort of rebel states) and taking part of your fleet to their side in the process, in fact, forming a new power. This new power would have a new "avatar" to start a dialog with like any other power, and would in fact act like any other power with it's own goals and agendas. 

Through history there are an endless examples of empires breaking up, and new nations forming. The USA for example declared independence from the British, the South seceded from the United States to form the Confederacy and so on...

Was there any plan to update domestic politics?

Locked Post 16 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 28, 2014 10:57:10 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I like this idea.

March 1, 2014 9:11:56 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Rebel Scum!

Hehe, might make a nice expansion pack

March 1, 2014 12:34:20 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Excellent idea.  I suggest that a range of rebellion outcomes also be enabled by the game engine.  From a simple, 'rebel groups are gaining followers on planet <name>.'  and..  'Large sectors of general population are sympathizing with rebellious' groups demands.  and.. 'Covert affairs liaisons suggest possibilities of some military (ground?) (Naval) forces sympathizing with rebel demands.' and .. 'Colony in critical turmoil as dissidents occupy seats of power.'  to..  'Planet <name> has declared independence from <our empire/civ>'  Fleet(s) <name> have joined the new government of planet <name>.'  This escalating set of communiques from the rebelling planet along with possible fleet defections (patriots) would add great flavor to game.  Also, include real diplomacy options.  Rebelling planets become subject to various interventions, an active, interesting set of unfolding choices and consequences for dealing with their relationship with Central government.  A colony world that is beginning to exhibit signs of dissatisfaction with the central government might be won back by agreeing to some/all the demands.  Do they feel they are paying too much to the general treasury?  <lower taxes>.  Are they losing too many civilians to raids by 'others?' <increase patrols/protection>.  Have too many of their own soldiers/sailors been killed in recent combat way out there somewhere? <address excessive causalities>.  What think you?

March 1, 2014 4:38:39 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Not to mention that factions that are hostile towards you will probably become their friend while factions that are friendly towards you will be hostile towards them.

I want to mention that there is a chance that the Galactic council will not necessarily recognize them.

Their should be an option to make interfearing in other people civil wars illegal. This should not be automatic, but this could be an option to vote on the galactic council. They should not be arbitrarily not allow you to do this, but this would cause diplomatic penalties similar to a faction that goes to war with a faction that has a treaty with you. Unless there was a law that got passed that required the galactic council to build up a peacekeeper army. I would like to see this option as a chance to vote on this too. If they have a peacekeeper force then they will try to stop you will try to stop you with the peacekeeper force.

March 1, 2014 5:26:37 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Maybe even have the ability to start playing as one of the rebel factions..

Would be kinda cool to lead rebellion against an established Civilization.

Maybe even have a game simulated out until there was a rebellion, and then you pick up from there.

Would be a nice challenge.

March 2, 2014 4:43:08 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

Excellent idea.  I suggest that a range of rebellion outcomes also be enabled by the game engine.  From a simple, 'rebel groups are gaining followers on planet <name>.'  and..  'Large sectors of general population are sympathizing with rebellious' groups demands.  and.. 'Covert affairs liaisons suggest possibilities of some military (ground?) (Naval) forces sympathizing with rebel demands.' and .. 'Colony in critical turmoil as dissidents occupy seats of power.'  to..  'Planet <name> has declared independence from <our empire/civ>'  Fleet(s) <name> have joined the new government of planet <name>.'  This escalating set of communiques from the rebelling planet along with possible fleet defections (patriots) would add great flavor to game.  Also, include real diplomacy options.  Rebelling planets become subject to various interventions, an active, interesting set of unfolding choices and consequences for dealing with their relationship with Central government.  A colony world that is beginning to exhibit signs of dissatisfaction with the central government might be won back by agreeing to some/all the demands.  Do they feel they are paying too much to the general treasury?  <lower taxes>.  Are they losing too many civilians to raids by 'others?' <increase patrols/protection>.  Have too many of their own soldiers/sailors been killed in recent combat way out there somewhere? <address excessive causalities>.  What think you?

Good points, I really hope domestic politics get to be a larger part of the game. Think about it, most every great empire through history has come to an end because of internal conflicts...

March 2, 2014 5:59:43 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I too think this is a good idea.  I don't know how realistic it would be to begin implementation at this point in the production cycle, however if it is already planned for it could be realllllly cool!

March 2, 2014 6:21:20 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting thetraviler,

I too think this is a good idea.  I don't know how realistic it would be to begin implementation at this point in the production cycle, however if it is already planned for it could be realllllly cool!

Probably, but why let that stop us? At worst, it's an idea for an expansion. Frogboy did say he felt approval was too valuable to waste as a soft cap on population; something like this would make for good new content a year after release.

March 2, 2014 6:27:30 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

What about Starbases?  How do they fit into this discussion.  They don't secede, but once they amass enough modules, they achieve a city-state status.  When a race is conquered, the Starbase just disappears when in fact that would not happen.  A huge hunk of metal just doesn't disappear if it's civilization is conquered and the Starbase is untouched.  Wouldn't it remain in space and become an independent state?  Unlike ships from conquered civilizations becoming pirates, a Starbase has more to offer especially in it's ability to become an independent entrepreneur.  Shouldn't there be these same politics in dealing with these new identities?

March 3, 2014 9:50:46 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Apops,

What about Starbases?  How do they fit into this discussion.  They don't secede, but once they amass enough modules, they achieve a city-state status.  When a race is conquered, the Starbase just disappears when in fact that would not happen.  A huge hunk of metal just doesn't disappear if it's civilization is conquered and the Starbase is untouched.  Wouldn't it remain in space and become an independent state?  Unlike ships from conquered civilizations becoming pirates, a Starbase has more to offer especially in it's ability to become an independent entrepreneur.  Shouldn't there be these same politics in dealing with these new identities?

This is a great idea, and something that has been pushed around in different forms for years.  It really does make sense when you consider that an upgraded starbase is really a large city in its own right.  Perhaps once certain population modules are added, in order to start generating tax revenue, you have to start paying attention to that starbase's moral.  This would lead to the possibility of them switching allegiance.  A large starbase is really more economically viable then a small planetoid IMHO.

A starbase with a large population really should be treated like a (very) small planet!

March 7, 2014 1:26:12 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
What think you?

Me think dis: frequency of "disturbances" should be directly linked with "freedom" of political system we have - the less free that system is, the fewer chances fo any form of disturbances. I.e. if we have Imperial government, then we won't have rebels. If we have democracy, then we have a lot of those, should something went sideways.

March 7, 2014 9:18:09 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

By disturbances you mean free speech and the according change that occur when people can't speak their opinion, like in dictatorships and oppressive governments. In that case since progress and creativity would be enemies I think"disturbances would increase. Like the middle east is having.

DARCA

March 7, 2014 10:09:59 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

No, I mean disturbances affected from outside. Like when you build influence stations and start broadcasting "our jeans are better than yours!", resulting into "Origin sucks, we want better sales like Steam does!"

March 7, 2014 8:33:35 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Rudy_102,

No, I mean disturbances affected from outside. Like when you build influence stations and start broadcasting "our jeans are better than yours!", resulting into "Origin sucks, we want better sales like Steam does!"

Perhaps, but they more than make up for that with the internal sources of disturbances. Revolutions and the occasional coup d'état might be the cost of an imperial system.

More open systems might be more susceptible to influence flipping, but more closed systems would be ripe for outright revolts.

March 8, 2014 12:35:49 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Yeah in a democracy the ruling party often, but most totalitarians have regular change in leaderships. When I mean leaderships this way I mean ones that have no connection with each other.

March 8, 2014 2:59:03 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting WIllythemailboy,

Perhaps, but they more than make up for that with the internal sources of disturbances. Revolutions and the occasional coup d'état might be the cost of an imperial system.

More open systems might be more susceptible to influence flipping, but more closed systems would be ripe for outright revolts.

That's the joke - any "tyranny" or "dictatorship" exist as long as people allow it. It is not so with so called "democracies". Because it's easy to blame single leader for being tyrant or dictator, good luck pinpointing single person in democracy - president blames parliament, parliament blames senate, senate blames opposition, opposition blames president.

/seriouscat.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001125   Page Render Time: