Starbases in Galactic Civilizations III

By on January 27, 2014 11:59:56 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

abiessener

Join Date 01/2006
+46

Constructing starbases has long been a key element of any successful space empire in Galactic Civilizations. We’re taking a good look at them for Galactic Civilizations III from both artistic and mechanical perspectives. Starbases are going to be cooler and more strategically interesting in Galactic Civilizations III than ever.

(click the pic for a high-res downloadable version)

Lead designer Paul Boyer (Mormegil here on the forums) has the following to say about starbases:

We’re adding some great features to starbases in Galactic Civilizations III. Like in the previous game, each starbases specializes in a particular function: economics, military, cultural, or mining. However, players no longer choose a type upon construction. Instead players add a Specialization Ring that allows the starbase to perform special tasks. Once the ring is built, players can further upgrade it with special modules. These modules are key to a starbase’s strengths, such as expanding your civilization's cultural influence, defending your borders, boosting planetary economics, and mining the new resources such as antimatter that fuel the deadliest ships in any game of Galactic Civilizations III.

Other new starbase features include unique styles for each race and unique starbase modules. Fleets can now dock at a starbase, much like they can garrison friendly planets. Players can also add multiple constructor modules on a Constructor ship now.

(click the pic for a high-res downloadable version)

These changes allow starbases to fill even more roles in your strategy, and open up new doors for different development paths for your empire.

What would you like to see unique modules do in Galactic Civilizations III?

Locked Post 105 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 27, 2014 3:33:53 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Constructor spam will be reduced by allowing them to have more than one module, so they can do more upgrades on a starbase. Sounds good. I also like that the appearance will differ based on civilization.

So can I build a starbase that is a mix of military, culture, economics and mining? As in they can have more than one specialization ring?

The new resource antimatter will be required to build larger ships?

As for unique models. How about one that let's construct ships at starbases. Or would that make them overpowered?

January 27, 2014 4:03:20 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Fleets can now dock at a starbase, much like they can garrison friendly planets.

Nice! That should make it much easier to defend them. Although, I'm still hoping, that starbases will be able to put up more of a fight this time around. They were rather easy to destroy in GalCiv 2.

January 27, 2014 4:15:59 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

It would be awesome if the star bases had docks where the ships could dock and integrate into the starbase and make them stronger and tack on added abilities from the ships that are docked. More than one dock would make it a deadly combo for anyone trying to attack the starbase. That's just a thought that came to mind.

January 27, 2014 4:17:07 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Some things id like to see and think would be balanced:

The same modules in GC2 that slowed down enemies in the radius

Subspace lasers/torpedoes- modules that give based a weak ranged attack- could be lots of kinds of attacks such as 10% damage, 10% chance to kill, ships are stuck in place for a few turns, etc

Gravity flinger- module that lets a ship leaving from the base go faster

Radar decoys-Modules that make it appear you have more/less ships than you do and distort ship locations

Ship factories- Ive always though it was silly you could only build ships from planets

And maybe a module that lets em move a tile every turn or other turn. Keep up the work

January 27, 2014 4:19:35 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Would be frigin awesome having a dock on the starbases though. Giving the ships a place to defend from and holding a key location on the map. Would completely change the tactic overlook of the game. Would be much more challenging and more effective for those that like to push borders. It's a very good way to promote the game and it's strategic value would be increased.

January 27, 2014 4:22:15 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Oh and ranged weapons on the starbases with a two tile radius or more would be wikkid. But then they would need to come up with ships that could stealth attack the sensors so they could put on a full out attack with other ships to take it out.

January 27, 2014 4:24:29 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Maybe create Flagships that can build ships on them like aircraft carriers.

January 27, 2014 5:00:19 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Is that a zoo on the influence one? No wonder it's influential!

January 27, 2014 5:10:39 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Starbases that can build ships would have to have access to the resources needed to do so, such as asteroids. Would it be possible to have GC3 provide for starbases to acquire such resources?? Otherwise, I don't think having starbases build ships would sit well with me. I really don't think I could buy into the concept of the resources being generated "out of thin air" (or out of thin space, for that matter).

January 27, 2014 5:15:59 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I hadn't even thought of improving the starbases, they were more of an afterthought in GC2. If they are going to be as much of a game changer as in Sins then there's got to be some balancing. Only so many until more logistics researched? If ships can dock, then those starbases are going to be quite powerful. It would be cool if some starbases could build ships, maybe small/tiny ships. Perhaps starbases have fighter/bomber squads for extra defense?

Quoting Goudeau42,
 And maybe a module that lets em move a tile every turn or other turn. 

I think that might be a bit too OP. Even if you only let them move a space every two turns a military starbase with a ton of attack and defense that buffs your ships could simply walk into enemy territory and deploy ships that are docked.

Quoting AngelicHunter,
 Oh and ranged weapons on the starbases with a two tile radius or more would be wikkid. But then they would need to come up with ships that could stealth attack the sensors so they could put on a full out attack with other ships to take it out.

That would be wikkid, but also OP. Stealth would be an interesting by, but I'm guessing that two ships have to be in adjacent hexes to attack. Stealth would also be something that would have to have a counter, and I don't think that would all work out. Sensors that penetrate the cloak? Then the cloak is useless. Possible, but unlikely.

Quoting Goudeau42,
 The same modules in GC2 that slowed down enemies in the radius 

I agree. The military modules in GC2 were quite useful. 

Antimatter mining to power late game ships? So whomever controls the deposits can power their ships' late game weapons? Sounds interesting. Will antimatter be a requirement or just buff ships? Is it for speed or for weapons or just power in general?

I also like that starbases will be different for different races, makes them much more unique. Does that mean that there will be different modules with each different race?

I'm so excited.

January 27, 2014 5:56:53 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I audibly whoad/whoaed/whaohed/wowed - whatever. Very cool.

Can you dock at your ally's/teammate's starbases?

January 27, 2014 5:57:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I didn't mean star bases could build ships. I was talking about carrier class ships being able to create ships. Maybe you can have it so that they have to mine resources from nearby asteroids and once the resources are collected, they can produce ships depending on how much and how long they mined for.

January 27, 2014 6:03:39 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Stealth can be configured so that no ships in the starbase or the starbase it's self can detect the incoming infiltrator ship. Also detector ships wouldn't be able to stop the infiltrator ship from disabling the starbases defenses for the time being allowing your other ships to move in on a time restricted and that strategic amount of time would allow you to use it accordingly.

January 27, 2014 6:07:15 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Starbases should definitely be strong as they are a complex base in space. At least the more you upgrade it. I think starbases should allow you to control where you you want to be more aggressive and defensive. They are a game changer but in essence the should be. Any space base in reality (with a few upgrades and enhancements) should be a driving force in your decision making as that is where you are staging strategic points on the map in space away from your planets for defense or attack. Makes perfect sense to me.

January 27, 2014 6:14:34 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

1 - A repair module that fixes ships quickly. I know there was the upgrade workaround but if cash was tight a huge hull ship could take a game year to repair, even in orbit. I know something of that sort was build for Twilight but the techs and modules for it had to be modded in. Or at least if it was in the stock tech trees I never found it.

2 - Sensor units that actually matter. Even fully upgraded a starbase's sensors were no better than what was available for ships. In GC2 the cap was hardcoded at 15, but starbases couldn't even reach that cap without Eyes of the Universe.

3 - Since we can garrison bases now, modules that give the same fleet +defense and +weapons as the ship module versions, limited to one of each type of module not one module total. Having a starbase +speed module wouldn't make sense, but modules for +accuracy, +dodge, +weapon range, maybe even +HP would make starbases beasts to kill.

4 - In conjunction with #3, the ability to either upgrade or remove unique modules if better versions become available. The fleet modules in particular shouldn't stack like the weapon and defense modules - either the individual modules wouldn't be big enough to matter, or they would stack too high and be overpowered. For example, if the Terrans can get a +20% weapons bonus module, but steal a tech from the Arceans that give them a +30% bonus, they should be able to replace that module on their starbases, rather than being stuck with the 20% version or being able to use both and stacking the bonus to 50%.

Players can also add multiple constructor modules on a Constructor ship now.

....I need to go change my shorts. It's about time!

January 27, 2014 6:24:27 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This sounds great and I love the art, keep up the great work!!!

sensor Jamar modules would be nice.

January 27, 2014 6:44:41 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting WIllythemailboy,
I know something of that sort was build for Twilight but the techs and modules for it had to be modded in.

Actually, the mechanic for it already existed in DL. It's mentioned in the official modding guide, and the example mod for DL even has the repair-module in it (though it is bugged, because it has no value assigned to it).

January 27, 2014 7:44:33 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

some kind of station fleet mechanic would be nice or some option to attack/patrol the area that the star base supposedly controls

whats the point of a fully upgraded military star base if you can just skirt around it and keep going

January 27, 2014 8:03:50 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Gaunathor my friend!!!!

January 27, 2014 10:43:13 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Other new starbase features include unique styles for each race and unique starbase modules. Fleets can now dock at a starbase, much like they can garrison friendly planets. Players can also add multiple constructor modules on a Constructor ship now.

Woooo!

January 27, 2014 10:46:47 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Gaunathor,

Quoting WIllythemailboy, reply 15I know something of that sort was build for Twilight but the techs and modules for it had to be modded in.

Actually, the mechanic for it already existed in DL. It's mentioned in the official modding guide, and the example mod for DL even has a repair-module in it (though it is bugged, because it has no value).

Starbases were available GC1. I can't confirm any further back than the latest level, but with my awesome memory (I can remember things that never happened ) I am sure its been available since the base release of GC1.

January 28, 2014 2:23:42 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

"I came".

"Obey" is nice, but where is "Buy our [beep] now, SALE!", economical one?

Quoting WIllythemailboy,
1 - A repair module that fixes ships quickly. I know there was the upgrade workaround but if cash was tight a huge hull ship could take a game year to repair, even in orbit. I know something of that sort was build for Twilight but the techs and modules for it had to be modded in. Or at least if it was in the stock tech trees I never found it.

IMHO we need something Space Rangers-alike, some dedicated repair station, that could fix only one ship, but much faster, or, we could allocate repair cap of station as we see fit. Similar process could be implied for our shipyards, which we reorient on repairing existing ships, rather than building new ones.

January 28, 2014 2:53:16 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'm so glad constructors are kept. They add alot to strategy and planning. Also very exciting to try to sneak them out during wars.

January 28, 2014 4:09:07 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Lucky Jack,
Starbases were available GC1. I can't confirm any further back than the latest level, but with my awesome memory (I can remember things that never happened ) I am sure its been available since the base release of GC1.

I know that starbases were available in GalCiv 1, I've played it. However, I wasn't talking about them, but the ship-repair module, WIllythemailboy mentioned.

January 28, 2014 4:27:16 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

One thing I would like to see is starbases in orbit instead starports on planets. It would be more realistic to have a starbase in orbit. And it doesn't have to be something complicate like the other starbases just an orbital construction like in MOO2 with 2-3 upgrades for faster construction, bigger ships, better defense.

For normal starbases unique modules I would like to see:

Warp Lane Module : Starbases which are equipped with this module(each one must have this to work) can launch ships superfast between them.
- 1 upgrade late in game for instant transport

Mobilization Module : Move starbases 1 parsec per turn
- 2 upgrades to go faster up to 3 parsecs per turn

Omega Shield Module : Unique module available only to human race. Expensive to built and needs antimatter to work. It creates a super shield around starbase that it can last for several turns. It can be turned on and off at will. Useful in difficult situations like when enemy is nearby and a ship needs a place to hide.

Cloak module : Cloaking device turning starbase invisible to enemy for several turns. Needs antimatter to work. Useful when an armada comes to destroy the starbase only to found its gone! 

Shipyard module : Obviously ship construction, but for this to work only if it's near a colony or more than one so it can have access to resources for construction.
Ships who dock on starbase they get repaired slowly but with Shipyard module they get repaired very fast in 2-3 turns.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: