Let the Countdown to Alpha begin

By on January 24, 2014 11:37:41 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Seilore

Join Date 10/2006
+109

So, with no exact date for the release but with a general idea let's say 4 1/2 weeks away   I know many are awaiting some more than others.  Some keep thinking it's already out, but sadly not publicly   So at this point is everyone ready?

My new computer is built ready to go, are all your upgrades set?  Does everyone have a win 7/8 machine, 64 bit with a gpu that supports directx 10/11?

Have your vacation ready?  Your overtime killed?  Sending your family/spouse/kids/parents away on vacation?  Feeding the pets for a week?

Here's to the wait

Locked Post 28 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 24, 2014 1:40:34 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Break up with girlfriend.... Check...

Stab my DnD character in the face..... 1d20 rolled 1..... Suicide failed....Try again..... 1d20 rolled 16..... check....

Months supply of ramen.... check...

Hitbox streaming channel partnered and configured.... check....

Just need the alpha now.

January 24, 2014 4:44:24 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Let's not. No countdown is going to be worth it even if we do get a estimate release date from frogboy or any other Dev. Even if they say the alpha will definately be released on such and such a day, it's best to expect it to be delayed. That's just how these things work. It's still on target for Winter release for Alpha they said last, so let's expect it in the spring.

Also: I didn't purchase Founder Elite for Alpha Access.

I purchased it because I have full confidence that this is going to be amazing (once the bugs have been weeded out and balancing tweaks have been made) and that I believe I'm getting the game plus expansions for a very good price.

The game at Alpha stage though is probably going to be pretty shit, but I'll play it anyway and give as much constructive feedback to the Devs about improving it as I can.

January 24, 2014 5:19:34 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Agreed. Any amount of waiting is ultimately fine, if the result is a better product in the end.

January 24, 2014 5:40:35 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Starbound_Dust,
Let's not. No countdown is going to be worth it even if we do get a estimate release date from frogboy or any other Dev. Even if they say the alpha will definately be released on such and such a day, it's best to expect it to be delayed. That's just how these things work. It's still on target for Winter release for Alpha they said last, so let's expect it in the spring.

If Frogboy hinted at the end of February and it's middle March or even March 19th  the count down can still be prepared.  Even if it's delayed until spring, which I doubt unless they say otherwise Stardock will keep us informed, we can adjust our expectations

Quoting Starbound_Dust,

I purchased it because I have full confidence that this is going to be amazing (once the bugs have been weeded out and balancing tweaks have been made) and that I believe I'm getting the game plus expansions for a very good price.

You don't have to be excited for the Alpha release, I have no problems working through the bugs, and I'll be happy to work with the Alpha, to everyone's own.   Just remember that though, I don't want to see you playing the Alpha    j/k I hope you and everyone else if nothing else gets to run it to see how it looks right now.  Should you choose to help work the kinks out then great if not, we'll see you at the actual release

January 24, 2014 6:09:51 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Can't I've been waiting for this ever since someone played a mean joke and said there was going to be a galactic civilization 3 in 2009.

January 24, 2014 6:25:58 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting admiralWillyWilber,

Can't I've been waiting for this ever since someone played a mean joke and said there was going to be a galactic civilization 3 in 2009.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2009 was when they started working on it, or perhaps on the engine. So what you heard then may have been accurate, but your expectations of when was all that was unreasonable.

January 24, 2014 6:51:22 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Actually they recently announced they were working on it since 2011.

January 24, 2014 7:12:26 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting admiralWillyWilber,

Is that GC3 itself? When did they start work on the engine?

January 24, 2014 7:42:06 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

It is possible to get overhyped. I fell guilty to that when I was waiting for Starbound, I knew I was hyped, but I didn't think I was as hyped as others seemed to be, it was enough though to have my experience of the game lessened now that the early release is here. In it's current state I wouldn't really recommend it to anybody, but I am hoping it will get a lot better. Anyway the best thing all of us can do is just sit back and relax and not think about it too much. 

January 24, 2014 8:01:15 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Starbound_Dust,

It is possible to get overhyped. I fell guilty to that when I was waiting for Starbound, I knew I was hyped, but I didn't think I was as hyped as others seemed to be, it was enough though to have my experience of the game lessened now that the early release is here. In it's current state I wouldn't really recommend it to anybody, but I am hoping it will get a lot better. Anyway the best thing all of us can do is just sit back and relax and not think about it too much. 

Have you ever advised someone not to think about an elephant too much? 

January 24, 2014 8:05:21 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Lucky Jack,

You can get too hyped over a game one in example for me was the disasterous release of SIMCITY a year ago which EA/Maxis messed up that game.

Good thing Stardock isn't all greed and actually listens to their fans which is why Stardock will not let us down with Galactic Civilizations III

January 24, 2014 8:48:04 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Lucky Jack,

Big difference between an elephant and a video game. Pun intended.

January 24, 2014 9:48:38 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Lucky Jack,

Quoting admiralWillyWilber, reply 7

Is that GC3 itself? When did they start work on the engine?

Elemental. This engine is a modified version of the one made for that. 

January 25, 2014 2:08:42 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

As long as it's not March 6, see no issues with that.

*It's a final countdown! To-do-do-to-too, to-do-do-doo-to-do-do-to-to-too-tooo, to-do-do-to-to-to-too, too-toooo! We heading to Venus...*

January 25, 2014 6:41:00 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Tridus,
Elemental. This engine is a modified version of the one made for that.

Not according to Frogboy: "GalCiv III is using a new engine designed specifically for it."

January 25, 2014 6:53:47 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

huh, go figure.

January 25, 2014 9:37:10 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Starbound_Dust,

Same here but its a nice perk.

January 25, 2014 12:14:13 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

That's me as well.  I'll tool around with it a bit, but save the main play for the official release.

January 25, 2014 1:02:53 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I've been out of the office a lot the last couple weeks but what I can tell you based on where it was when I last played:

1. Multiplayer works.

2. The AI colonizes planets, builds up planets, invades (poorly).

What's rough:

a. Lots of missing UI elements.

b. Lots of missing features (previously mentioned as they won't be in until the beta)

c. Tech tree is very rough (this should be ready by alpha)

d. The visuals -- lighting and materials -- still need a lot of work. It's eye candy but we don't want ugly screenshots going out there.

e. Mini map is flaky.

A couple surprises that I'm liking that I didn't realize I missed.

1. The range of ships is represented by a nice dotted line which is actually quite nice. Just a nice touch.

2. The way your ZOC is represented is very nice.

3. There aren't sectors anymore and it looks better as a result (less on screen noise).

4. The performance is way better than I would have expected.

5. The economy system is working nicer than I would have expected this early.

6. It is nice having help on the AI.  I was able to do a high level AI design where I took the best from GalCiv II and Legendary Heroes and put them together and having the engine lead being the one implementing has resulted in some promising results.

Now, that said, I would guess that the alpha won't come out until early March. 

January 25, 2014 1:32:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Now, that said, I would guess that the alpha won't come out until early March. 

okay so 6 weeks out give or take

January 25, 2014 4:41:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

You and me both brother.

January 25, 2014 9:18:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Qouting Froboy on the Alpha status

1. Multiplayer works.     Great I hope it works

2. The AI colonizes planets, builds up planets, invades (poorly).      Awesome to hear, don't want them invading anyways

What's rough:

a. Lots of missing UI elements.    I'm sure it's a work in progress

b. Lots of missing features (previously mentioned as they won't be in until the beta)     Not expecting everything.

c. Tech tree is very rough (this should be ready by alpha)     Wouldn't be disappointed if there are still missing parts after all it's Alpha.

d. The visuals -- lighting and materials -- still need a lot of work. It's eye candy but we don't want ugly screenshots going out there.

Just don't post my picture and you'll be fine

e. Mini map is flaky.   Would be nice to see this working, maybe with multi-screen support???

A couple surprises that I'm liking that I didn't realize I missed.   Surprises always good :

1. The range of ships is represented by a nice dotted line which is actually quite nice. Just a nice touch.   Sounds promising

2. The way your ZOC is represented is very nice.    I'm lost don't know what "ZOC" is

3. There aren't sectors anymore and it looks better as a result (less on screen noise).    I liked sectors but, I'll take your word for it.

4. The performance is way better than I would have expected.    Means larger maps than originally thought ??? 

5. The economy system is working nicer than I would have expected this early.    Economics always good, I'm happy to hear.

January 25, 2014 9:32:55 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Seilore,
I'm lost don't know what "ZOC" is

Zone of Control - the territory you control. In GC2 terms that would be your influence borders, presumably it is something similar in GC3.

Quoting Seilore,
I liked sectors but, I'll take your word for it.

The switch to hexes makes for messy sector boundaries - the boundary between sectors wouldn't neatly follow the edges of the individual hexes.

January 25, 2014 9:41:17 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting WIllythemailboy,
Quoting Seilore,
reply 22
I'm lost don't know what "ZOC" is

Zone of Control - the territory you control. In GC2 terms that would be your influence borders, presumably it is something similar in GC3.

Thank you, sorry just couldn't figure out what was meant.

Quoting WIllythemailboy,
Quoting Seilore,
reply 22
I liked sectors but, I'll take your word for it.

The switch to hexes makes for messy sector boundaries - the boundary between sectors wouldn't neatly follow the edges of the individual hexes.

I guess but, but I still like sectors , I'm sure it will be great

January 26, 2014 1:22:27 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Seilore,

2. The AI colonizes planets, builds up planets, invades (poorly).      Awesome to hear, don't want them invading anyways

What's rough:

I would hope you are talking about the alpha. I don't think that even the Thalans had to bad of invasion tactics. I like the Iconian invasion ttacticn nthe Dard avatar Dread lord game. I would definately like a challenging Ai. I like the savatoge methods of the Krynn and Iconians of the Dark avatar otherwise I like the Iconians of the Dread lord game of the Dark avatar expansion. I would like to see a Dark avatar like Drengin that build super fleets only that they expand. I would like to see the Korath of Dark avatar. I know the Alpha don't count until the game comes out. I thought the Thalans were good as is in Twilight. Yor great they just need to expand.

Quoting Seilore,

Just don't post my picture and you'll be fine

Actually like the idea it would be a nice touch if you could superimpose the factions picture with your own.

Quoting Seilore,

3. There aren't sectors anymore and it looks better as a result (less on screen noise).    I liked sectors but, I'll take your word for it.

Hope this doesn't make for a smaller map. Bigger the better. Just like more the factions that are on the game the better.

Quoting Seilore,

4. The performance is way better than I would have expected.    Means larger maps than originally thought ??? 

5. The economy system is working nicer than I would have expected this early.    Economics always good, I'm happy to hear.

Great I like to hear updates.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time: