Meet the Altarian Leader, Akari Malara

By on December 3, 2013 4:13:32 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

abiessener

Join Date 01/2006
+46

(click the pic for a full-res, downloadable version)

Humanity’s allies are bloodied but unbroken in the Galactic Civilizations III timeframe. The former leader of the Republic, Eleys Mue, died at the hands of the Drengin paving the way for the Resistance to take more direct measures that ultimately pushed the Drengin off her world.  Succeeding her is Akari Malara of the Iru-Wraith'ir. She is a smart and capable woman willing to deal with the Drengin-dominated galaxy as it is, not the galaxy some of her peace-loving people wish it was. The Altarian Republic is in good -- or at least effective -- hands.

Lead designer Paul Boyer explains Akari Malara thusly:

Like the Terrans, the Altarian Republic has suffered greatly after the wars surrounding the return of the Dread Lords. They may have been wiped out entirely if not for the leader of the Altarian Resistance, Akari Malara. She kept the Altarian people united, giving them the strength to hold firm in the face of the Drengin domination of the galaxy.

While the Altarian Republic now claims to have never truly fallen, their government has been entirely taken over by the key members of the Altarian Resistance. This change can be seen in the way the Altarians now interact with the rest of the galaxy; though still looked upon as the high water mark of benevolence, they are now even less likely to trust outsiders and will often choose to stay aloof from galactic conflict rather than risking further cultural contamination.

Akari Malara herself has become an almost religious figure. The Altarian Resistance sees her as the savior of the Altarian people, and her control over her people is unprecedented in Altarian history. Even her worst critics admire her leadership, though they whisper that she is perhaps a bit too pragmatic.

There’s a lot more Galactic Civilizations III content out there already. Learn more about the Altarian Resistance and its prominent place in the Galactic Civilizations universe in the Databanks, check out PC Gamer’s in-depth preview, or listen to Paul talk everything from tutorial modes to ship design on the SpaceGameJunkies podcast.

Founders can access even more content in the Founders’ Vault by pre-ordering the game for $10 off the regular $49.99 price, or by picking up the $99 version that comes with a lifetime subscription to all Galactic Civilizations III DLC and expansions.

Update:

Fixed the confusion between Elsys Mue, the leader of the Altarian Republic and Akari Malari, the resistance leader who restored Altaria's independence.

Locked Post 234 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 3, 2013 4:30:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Bllue?

December 3, 2013 4:51:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Good Lord she has changed from Galciv II. Too bad I can't find an older pic.

December 3, 2013 5:07:39 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

No tattoos? Not that I expect her appearance to be just like it was in GalCiv2 but I think the tattoos were an iconic part of the race. 

Don't take this complaint too harshly she looks amazing.

December 3, 2013 5:20:32 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'm glad they changed the skin. It makes the Altarians look more like cousins instead of siblings that magically appeared on the opposite side of the galaxy. She's a perrty lady!

December 3, 2013 5:33:36 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I dislike how much she has been changed from Galactic Civilizations 2; they should have invented a new character or made a less radical change to her.  I can understand the evolution of Lord Kona, with his balding head, white hair and tired eyes, or even the redesigned Thalan/Hithesius from the trailer who has only two arms, but taking what is essentially a Human being and essentially giving them whole-body plastic surgery is... offputting.

EDIT; She is not Eleys Mue from Galactic Civilizations 2;

Quoting Frogboy,

Thats an error.  She's not supposed to be the same person. I didn't give them her name, someone recycled it for this post.

December 3, 2013 5:49:47 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Elsys Mue

Is she Eleys Mue's daughter/sister, or is that another retcon?

In any case, she looks great, but I'm also missing the tattoos.

December 3, 2013 6:07:55 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The blue hue could be the reflection of all the blue light coming from the podium/screen in front of her, although I'm not 100% happy with her either. I also thought the glowing tattoos were characteristic of Altarians. A way to show off their manipulation of the 'magical'/dark energy. 

And why is she so angry? 

On the positive side, at least now she is distinguishable from Jenna Casey -.-

December 3, 2013 6:15:03 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ParagonRenegade,

I dislike how much she has been changed from Galactic Civilizations 2; they should have invented a new character or made a less radical change to her.  I can understand the evolution of Lord Kona, with his balding head, white hair and tired eyes, or even the redesigned Thalan/Hithesius from the trailer ho has only two arms, but taking what is essentially a Human being and essentially giving them whole-body plastic surgery is... offputting.

I agree. I hope this "Eleys" doesn't make it in to the final game.

I miss the trademark tattoos as well. I know this is a new game, but most people who purchase GCIII have already owned a previous GC title... and that just isn't Eleys Mue.

December 3, 2013 6:17:38 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

If they can explain the skin change due to some ritual she under went to help augment her magical powers then this current version can make sense.

I like the fact that the wraith influnce is strong in this one.

December 3, 2013 6:22:08 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Polistes,

I like the fact that the wraith influnce is strong in this one.

So the most benevolent race in the game has started taking on traits from the pure-evil, ugly as sin, Wraith? lol

December 3, 2013 6:25:16 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Wraiths are neutral according to the frog good sir. (don't make me break out the alignment chart the froggy made.)

And I object to your notion that Oracle Ceresa and her wraiths are ugly sir.

December 3, 2013 7:02:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Polistes,

Wraiths are neutral according to the frog good sir. (don't make me break out the alignment chart the froggy made.)

Wait... you mean Elemental Wraith?

Wow, I am one dumb mofooka' :3

December 3, 2013 7:04:15 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ParagonRenegade,

Quoting Polistes, reply 11

Wait... you mean Elemental Wraith?

-snip-

That would be correct Though as a stargate fan I saw where you are coming from.

December 3, 2013 7:45:27 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'm fine with the change. Quite sure that tattoo techs have go beyond what we currently have. Her skin tone was a bit of a surprise but it's ok. And as the other screens of the alien races, it looks awesome. Someone at Stardock take a short vid or something!!!

December 3, 2013 7:50:38 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I really don't like the change. How fare the beloved Yor?

December 3, 2013 8:46:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm fine with the skin color. Actually, considering GalCiv borrows a ton from Star Control I/II always figured the Altarians to be Syreen anyways. Altarians are basically non crystallized Chenjesu. Drengin are Ur-Quan. Torian are spathi. Korath are Korath (lazy Stardock)

December 3, 2013 8:56:09 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I vastly prefer the version from Galciv2.  This style is a drunken step in the wrong direction.  Sorry.

December 3, 2013 9:00:57 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Personally I like the new look- it looks a bit more interesting to me.

December 4, 2013 12:01:46 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

It would be wrong to assume that all Altarians are white, tattooed. It depends which faction is currently supreme. There are actually two other Altarian factions we haven't seen that look quite a bit different too.

December 4, 2013 12:18:36 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It would be wrong to assume that all Altarians are white, tattooed. It depends which faction is currently supreme. There are actually two other Altarian factions we haven't seen that look quite a bit different too.

That is not the issue, the issue I think is tripping most people is the fact that Elsys Mue pulled a Micheal Jackson stunt and turned from white to grayish/blue.

I have no issues with this at all, as something can be made to explain the sudden change. But I will admit it caught me off guard.

December 4, 2013 12:26:26 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I don't think it's out of the question that Altarians can't do Mimbari-esque transformations.  (and that's the vibe I'm getting from the Altarians right now)

December 4, 2013 12:52:16 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Well, the Altarians are the Humans from Elemental, so whatever. Yeah, space magic or whatever made her blue. Makes sense

December 4, 2013 12:57:55 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Don't lean on the "multiple factions" thing too heavily; you did this with the Korath/Drengin, Arnor/Dread Lords, Terran Loyalists/Mutineers, Krynn Devoted/Criminals and now with the Altarians. It's... tacky in my opinion.

December 4, 2013 1:09:21 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I showed her to 2 of my friends and they didn't think she looked attractive enough. They want the previous version of her. I don't think the blue is the problem. If the klingons can change in Star trek not the Altarians in Galactic civilizations. I liked the blue blood anyway. I don't mind the picture, but can we see all 3 factions. I did like the wraith in Stargate.

December 4, 2013 1:41:19 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I kind of like the new look.  The old GC2 look always seemed off to me. So did Casey IMHO.  The artwork is much better now.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time: