Lead Designer Paul Boyer Interviewed

By on October 18, 2013 10:53:31 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums External Link

abiessener

Join Date 01/2006
+46

Lead Designer Paul Boyer answered a pile of questions about Galactic Civilizations III. Want to learn more about random events, Stardock's development philosophies, and multiplayer? Check the interview out here.

Locked Post 18 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 18, 2013 12:25:55 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Another interesting read. Thanks for posting.

October 20, 2013 9:31:30 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This is nice indeed - but only makes me want to play it now even more

October 20, 2013 9:39:33 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

"Events have always been one of my favorite aspects of the game. You will be playing along thinking you have the game wrapped up and wham, “the Jagged Knife” pops up and half the galaxy is suddenly at war with you. Events of all kinds – simple to crazy and game-changing – are some of the most fun elements of Galactic Civilizations to design."

That is the sole reason I cannot play with random events, because it creates a huge empire with the collective technology of everyone, and that means the soldering bonuses making the jagged knife the most bull shit event in the whole game, no warning, to choices to make to smart strategic thinking behind dealing with them.

No,this was not fun.

October 20, 2013 10:28:44 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Nice find - thanks for posting.

These kind of articles are never earth shattering, but they are always good stuff to keep the pot boiling as they say.

I totally agree re Jagged Knife - that one is UTTERLY stupid, and is also the sole reason I turn off those events. Its dammed silly and drives me crazy - it has not the slightest tinge of reality. Its a fantasy game (essentially) and I get that - but to have some idiotic developer with a Vicious "Stuff You" mindset just leaves me cold and Angry.

How anyone can watch anything from a few days to a couple of weeks work/game play go down the Tube and think "Well Geeee, this is Fun" as Jagged Knife wrecks, dissects and consumes countless sleepless nights of prior GamePlay is utterly beyond comprehension - its dammed silly.

October 20, 2013 8:46:19 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I will admit the "Mega Events" in GC2 could be quite a kick in the head. Which is one of the reasons we had an option to turn them off. 

Events are something players love and hate, sometimes both at the same time. We have some ideas on how to push that more to the love side in GC3. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

October 20, 2013 9:49:18 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Jagged Knife is a knife in the back ... but not even close to enough to get me to turn it off.  I still wind up winning, often without even trying to reclaim my planets.  It does offer an opportunity however -- you can not only reclaim your planets, but those it took from other empires and you don't have to go to war with the other empires to have their planets.

October 20, 2013 11:09:08 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Love the work so far and it looks like its going to be better.

October 21, 2013 7:29:52 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Jagged is brutal, for sure.  The pirate one can be bad too.  I love events but it could be argued that some of them are a bit extreme. 

October 21, 2013 8:32:34 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Put me down as someone who considers Jagged Knife a not-fun event.  I will live with everything else that happens, but Jagged Knife is a guaranteed reload.  I guess that is one way to individually mod out that one event.

on topic content for this forum....

Galciv 3 is coming!   Just let the Jagged Knife try to stop that! 

October 21, 2013 8:48:34 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

When that even hits I'm usually so OP anyway that it simply adds extra turns for the end game. Incredibly annoying sometimes but not much else for me.

October 21, 2013 9:08:54 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

aacckk .... the idea behind Jagged Knife was fine - I get it in a way. The problem was its implementation. The final straw for me was when several hundred - I kid you not - several hundred orange blobs hit the screen all over the freeking place. It was like a measles rash just came out of hyper space.

That was it - I canned the game and started another, I couldn't be   Ar$%d picking my way through several hundred orange blobs one by one - it was just pointless.

Now ..... if that lot consolidated, and became a surprise attack in force from one side or corner of the "known Universe" as a surprise incursion .... hey different ball game, provided I had at least a fighting chance.....

But an attack of what amounted to "instant measles" on screen - leaving more measles than screen after the initial "high guys" incursion - no way, it was crazy.

October 21, 2013 9:33:30 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Wouldnt it be better if events like Jagged Knife had some sort of buildup, instead of just one big "fuck'em all"?

Foreshadowing is always best for major change, even if it's only hints and clue that could point to a developping situation that could blow in your face.

Obviously, a military buildup on your part would precipitate the bad things

October 21, 2013 9:49:54 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Dunno I kinda liked a lot of those events.  I find that if I'm 'trying out' a new strategy or civ I'll turn those off. But once I've got a 'groove' going, I like turning them on and seeing what nonsense the game throws at me. Keeps me on my toes and sometimes I learn stuff I wouldn't have otherwise.

I recall Sid Meier gave a GDC talk about how Civ was supposted to at one point have a double hump type of empire building. In that you'd build it up, then something woudl happen that would kick you down, then you'd build back up better than before. Conceptually it was interesting but he said that players rarely fought through to the second hump to get that euphoric feeling.

So I get that many players don't generally like getting kicked in the nuts unless they expect it to a certain degree. Shogun2 had this with "Realm Divide" as a mechanic which was designed to counter the inevitable late game 'steam rolling' effect since most strategy games don't have any real 'rubberbanding' mechanic.

October 21, 2013 10:04:25 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This is all good stuff, i started another post on Events in general, please check it out, all feedback welcome.

February 18, 2014 1:12:42 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Recently installed and played GalCiv II again, and have to say that the Jagged Knife in my last game represented not so much a disaster, as an opportunity to greatly expand, since you could not only retake previously owned worlds, but also those formerly occupied by your neighbours.

You need the tech to send out troop transports of course. But that's about it. Only three to four worlds, had a single fighter to stop an invasion!

I would still like such an enormous opportunity available, for the most selfish of reasons!

February 18, 2014 2:03:28 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Lol, Jagged Edge. I turn that stuff off. No problem having it in Gal Civ III but leave us the option to disable the feature. 

February 18, 2014 7:18:02 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Zarkov,

Recently installed and played GalCiv II again, and have to say that the Jagged Knife in my last game represented not so much a disaster, as an opportunity to greatly expand, since you could not only retake previously owned worlds, but also those formerly occupied by your neighbours.

You need the tech to send out troop transports of course. But that's about it. Only three to four worlds, had a single fighter to stop an invasion!

I would still like such an enormous opportunity available, for the most selfish of reasons!

This. The Jagged Knife is a painful kick in the butt to move forward.

February 19, 2014 2:46:19 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Pro Jagged Knife I only wish that they would start building buildings for morale and economics to maintain the new empire to the point that they can function. This would at least make them more challenging. I think that they shouild  build all the super projects they can. When they are ready to handle themselves then they gear up for war. Not to mention if they build extra super projects then this is a nice incentive to take back your planets.

While this is happening all the Ai's realize that they are missing planets. Start spying on the Jagged Knife to learn at least what planets are the ones they want while researching planetary invasion if they haven't to get their planets back. If they have planetary invasion already then they will start building up a fleet for war. If they already have a fleet they will go to war, and try to declare peace with all the factions they are at war with. I guess if they can't declare peace yet they will have to wait until they can declare peace with whatever faction they are fighting before they can war against the Jagged knife.

I think this is a nice modification to the Jagged knife.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: