Tactical combat.

By on October 15, 2013 4:15:58 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Ashbery76

Join Date 02/2002
+20

Will we be getting turn based or real time tactical combat ?

I presume we are getting tactical combat in the series finally.

Locked Post 411 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 15, 2013 4:51:58 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

We'll be talking a lot about how fleet combat works as we get further along.

October 15, 2013 5:01:13 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Please god no tactical combat.  combat viewer all the way.

October 15, 2013 5:04:13 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting charon2112,

+1 on that.  It's a strategy series. There are plenty of shoot-em-ups out there. 

October 15, 2013 5:12:17 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I like options myself. I would always start games with the combat viewer at 1x and watch the battle, then speed up, speed up some more, then quick battles. I would love it if there was an option added to have more direct control like Moo2...hopefully one that didn't take hours to complete

October 15, 2013 5:15:18 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Dearest Frogboy,

May I have your children? Would you like mine?

They work hard and I've well-prepared 'em for life in a Nike factory.

Sincerely and Truly Yours,

A Fan

October 15, 2013 5:16:13 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

First tactical combat is pure strategy.

Second, since you dont want to answer this question now please have the founders programm open until you are ready to do so.

For me that is the essential question as simple viewing combat ruined glaciv 2 for me personaly.

October 15, 2013 5:22:21 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting MottiKhan,

Quoting charon2112, reply 2

+1 on that.  It's a strategy series. There are plenty of shoot-em-ups out there. 

-1 We can have both, tactical combat + auto resolve. I would love to see tactical combat in gc3. (tb/rt doesnt matter)

October 15, 2013 5:22:25 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting charon2112,

I have a feeling this is going to be one the most hotly argued points around. 

October 15, 2013 5:24:08 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

If you want real depth in weapons system,engines and defences the game needs tactical combat.

I think its pretty obvious the game will have it anyway.

October 15, 2013 5:24:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'd like to see more depth to the combat. If it means adding a tactical element then I am OK with that. Civ v managed to add a lot of tactics elements to strategic combat (flanks, range, ect ect) without adding tactical sub battles, but that system had it's own down sides. Most 4x games have tactical sub battles for a reason. It allows for more depth in the combat and that allows more depth in ship building. The lack of depth in designing ships was one of the things I found lacking in GC2

October 15, 2013 5:27:38 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This is something I am going to just wait and see what SD has planned as I can see arguments for both sides.  I like hands off tactical combat as it is the best system to give the AI a fighting chance, as well as giving the player a chance to just sit back and enjoy the fireworks (especially if there is a great graphics engine at work).  On the other hand, the tactical combat in Elemental was well done and entertaining.  Personally, I would be very gratified to see a Gratuitous Space Battles approach of allowing the player to set up a battle plan before the fight, but then making him a spectator once the fighting begins. 

October 15, 2013 5:28:39 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Actually, I could see both being easily implemented. Again, and obviously, we can use MOO 2 as an example.

It had tactical combat (my favorite) that wasn't in real-time (I was "eh" about it) and if people didn't want to do that there was the AUTO button. Plus menu options prior to starting the game.

Personally, I would like to see a full tactical/strategy game that allows for auto-complete (whatever) and posesses a video playback of battles so we could see a turn-based battle play out in "real-time".

Or, and here's an idea, allow for real-time/turn-based (rounds) battles implementing both micromanaging for those that want it and perhaps player-made maneuvers like playbooks or some such.

October 15, 2013 5:33:16 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting MottiKhan,

Quoting charon2112, reply 2
There are plenty of shoot-em-ups out there. 

Ain't that the truth.  Leave our TBS game pure TBS.

October 15, 2013 5:45:39 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add in Tactical Combat.

I could care less about Multiplayer.  Tactical Combat is my #1 wish list feature I'd like to see in the game.  For the naysayers, give them Autoresolve combats like Galciv2.

PLEASE ADD TACTICAL COMBAT!!!! I can't wait.

I'll throw money at you even without tactical combat, but I'll add cake and other perks if Tactical Combat is added as well.

Let me also add that I'm puzzled that some people here DON'T want to see it included.  But I suppose strategy gamers come in all types.

October 15, 2013 5:47:57 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

But then without tactical combat it is more of a tower defence feeling.

This has to be well done - either somehow turn based, or perhaps Gratuitous Space Battles like.  Something that allows for strategy in combat; because despite the strategic element of the entire GC series, combat was really just the movie-result of your tech/ship design strategy.

October 15, 2013 5:48:43 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Murrdox,

I'm puzzled that some people here DON'T want to see it included.  But I suppose strategy gamers come in all types.

That why they are called STRATEGY games.

October 15, 2013 6:08:16 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting raelalt,

Quoting Murrdox, reply 14
  I'm puzzled that some people here DON'T want to see it included.  But I suppose strategy gamers come in all types.

That why they are called STRATEGY games.

Yup! So we want strategy in combat. Previously, there was strategy in everything EXCEPT combat. Once combat started, it was a movie - there was no strategy. The lack of interaction in an area quite clearly indicates the lack of strategy in said area.

October 15, 2013 6:09:22 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

If the battles are similar to SoaSE but with the epic exploration like GalCiv II I'll pay whatever you want for GalCiv III.

October 15, 2013 6:37:43 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

For people saying that having tactical combat and an auto mode, no that doesn't work. Since players are smarter than AI they will always be more efficient thus rendering auto-mode unusable. And if this game has the same scale that GC2 does war will get very tedious very quickly.

October 15, 2013 6:42:01 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Antilurker77,

For people saying that having tactical combat and an auto mode, no that doesn't work. Since players are smarter than AI they will always be more efficient thus rendering auto-mode unusable. And if this game has the same scale that GC2 does war will get very tedious very quickly.

You kinda argued against yourself there.

Peoples will always be brainier than AI. Tactical nor otherwise will change that. For me, having tactical means my ships won't pull bone-headed maneuvers that fly in the face of all logic. I like my errors to be my own.

October 15, 2013 6:44:26 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I am holding off until I am sure it is turn based and not real time.

October 15, 2013 6:46:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I think you guys will like what we're doing with the battles. I'm dying to talk about it but I'd be instantly killed off.  I think it'll seem obvious in hindsight.

October 15, 2013 6:49:49 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I think you guys will like what we're doing with the battles. I'm dying to talk about it but I'd be instantly killed off.  I think it'll seem obvious in hindsight.

Death for a good cause is a good death.

C'mon...ya know ya wanna...

October 15, 2013 6:52:30 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I have been hoping for some sort of tactical combat in a GalCiv game for years. Participated in the tac combat polls and debates years ago on the GalCiv 2 forums. Stardock, don't let us down!

October 15, 2013 6:54:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'm banking on it being both.

And maybe a 3/4D arena to maneuver ships in turns, akin to MOO2, maybe denoted by grids that are taken up according to ship size, etc.

But I feel it'll likely be more of a MOO3 feel (may it ever be blasted onto hell) where you control fleets/squadrons seperately.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001187   Page Render Time: